Chapter Ten

Six Years Ago... Christmas Shopping In Town

The ride to town the next day after their arrival was silent. As they all carpooled in the same way they had from the airstrip to the ranch. Brooklyn was feeling awkward after finding out what Sophia had told her the night before.

Ex-girlfriend. And she has broken his heart. No wonder he's as grumpy as he is, she thought as the truck pulled up in front of a feed store.

"We're here," Marshall mentioned, getting out while Sophia opened the door and did the same, letting Brooklyn step out behind her.

The entire family met in front of the store, deciding to take a stroll through town so the Evans enjoyed the festive and wonderful streets of their little piece of heaven. They all split towards different places, leaving Brooklyn and Marshall standing in the middle of the sidewalk, awkwardly.

Even his little sister decided to join their aunt and uncle, which left him no choice but to entertain the beautiful, sexy, and obnoxious woman by his side. And he had only met her one day. His luck.

"Well, I guess you're stuck with me," she smiled, hoping to earn one in return from him. She wanted to see his lips tilt a bit, at least to show her he was a bit amused.

But nothing.

"Let's go inside. We have to join the family later, but the cows and horses need their feed. So, after you," he opened the door for her, letting her in first. The warmth of the store made her forget how chilly it was outside, and she didn't mean the weather.

The cowboy was surely left with a cold heart. Who could have been so evil as to leave such a wonderful specimen behind, breaking his heart?

An older man stood behind the counter, reading the daily newspaper when he heard the bell ring as the door to his store opened, revealing Marshall with the pretty lady beside him.

It brought a smile to his face.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" He greeted them, studying Brooklyn with a soft gaze. "It looks like Mr. Redd has a friend."

"Not a friend, Cal," Marshall cleared. "She's the sister of my cousin's girlfriend. Her family is visiting for the Holidays."

"Well, I'd like to think we're already friends," Brooklyn blurted, glancing his way. She was met with his back as he disappeared down the small aisle to find the food for the animals.

"Don't mind the young man. He's not as bad as he appears to be," the older man said. "My name is Cal Thompson. Nice meeting you..."

"Oh, Brooklyn Evans. I have to say, your town is adorable."

"That's the comment to be expected from a northern girl," Marshall said as he came back with a bag of chicken feed.

Brooklyn decided to ignore him as she smiled fondly at the store owner, who shook his head with a chuckle. "Be nice, Marshall. She's your guest."

Marshall scoffed. "My guest? Sure."

Paying for all the bags of feed, the store owner's son helped him carry them to his truck, ignoring his "guest".

"You didn't have to be rude in there," Brooklyn mentioned, glaring at him with her arms folded on his chest as they walked outside, standing by his truck while he set the feed on the back. Marshall leaned against his truck, put his head down, and sighed.

"You're right. I could have been nicer. I apologize."

She smiled. "See? That wasn't hard, was it? You don't know me, Marshall. I might be a northern, spoiled rich little girl, or whatever you want to call me. But if you get to know me, truly get to know me, you'll find out I'm none of those things. And my sister is just as kind, although a little less wild."

He stared at her, and the chuckle that escaped his lips shocked him to the core.

"Aha! I made you laugh a bit," she pointed at him, a victorious grin on her face as he turned serious again.

"Let's just meet the others," he grunted, closing the tailgate of his truck before he led her towards the gift shop where his family went.

~~~~~~

The ride back to the ranch was not as awkward, but Marshall was still silent. Since Bexley and Jeremiah had taken one of the trucks, she found herself with the entire family, their parents riding in the back of the truck.

Everyone was chatting contentedly, but there wasn't a word between the young pair. Sophia once again had sat by the window, forcing her to be against the handsome cowboy by her side.

But after that small chuckle she heard from him, she wasn't feeling as uncomfortable. Brooklyn didn't think he was that bad, as old Cal had said.

As they arrived at the ranch, the rest of the family had hurried inside to prepare the last details for Christmas, once again leaving them to each other's company.

Not long after catching Bexley and Jeremiah in the barn, professing their love for each other, which she thought was cute, she helped Marshall unload the truck, carrying smaller items like the gifts and the small sacks of chicken feed, Marshall taking care of the horse and cow feed.

It was a lighthearted day, and everyone enjoyed themselves, despite the moment where her mother had mentioned Liam, Bexley's former partner and sort of boyfriend, sending Bexley running out the door, with Jeremiah following behind.

"Mom, that was a bit out of place, you should have let Bexley tell him when she was ready," she softly scolded her mother, who was helping Mrs. Redd prepare lunch.

"I know, sweetheart. I didn't think, just hope that doesn't change their relationship," Carol replied, smiling sheepishly. Brooklyn hugged her, knowing how bad her mother felt about mentioning Liam.

"You sure care a lot about your sister, don't you?" Marshall whispered as he stood by her side.

"Of course I do. She's my sister. What makes you think I wouldn't?" Brooklyn asked, confused.

"I don't know, I never thought you would be the sort of girl to seriously care about others. The way you act, all wild and free, I doubted anyone would be serious or care about you either. Especially not a man."

Brooklyn gasped at his impertinent and inappropriate comment. "Are you serious right now?" she whispered angrily as Marshall shrugged his shoulders.

"I guess I am," he smirked. That was enough to make Brooklyn upset as she raised her hand and slapped him in the cheek before she knocked the beer he had in his hands, spilling it all over his shirt.

"You don't know me, Marshall Redd. How dare you?" she stomped out of the kitchen, leaving him to follow her as she walked towards the barn, where she thought she could let her anger out.

Bexley followed her as she glared at her boyfriend's cousin who had a guilty expression on him while he approached Jeremiah. She made her way into the barn, hoping to be able to console her sister.

~~~~~~

"Brooklyn?" Marshall asked as he knocked on the door, hoping to hear something from her. Even if she was upset.

He didn't know what prompted him to follow her after she stomped back into the house and made her way to her room.

"Go away, Marshall. I don't want to see your face for the rest of the Holidays," she shouted from inside the room.

Marshall took a deep breath. "I just want to apologize..."

Brookly slammed the door open and glared at him; her eyes were still red and swollen. "I don't want your apology. I am a spoiled girl, after all, so why don't you go back to your dirty animals and leave me alone!"

She slammed the door back on his face, and Marshall, trying to hold back his anger, walked away and out of the house, hoping to forget even the slightest beat of his heart just by looking at her.