✴️ Chapter 18✴️: The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree (2)

Start from the beginning

"Who cares about her? Her disappearance has nothing to do with me. Why should I worry about her?" Indigo asked in a cold tone, pouring the last portion of the juice into his mouth.

"What happened to her?" Blu asked with a more concerned face.

"Her house got burnt". Antonio responded to Blu.

"It's normal for houses to get burnt these days. Next time they'll not leave the gas on in the kitchen". Indigo deadpanned.

"That's awful. Poor Molly. Hope no one got hurt?". Blu said, his hand flying to his chest in a sympathetic way.

"A whole mansion got burnt, and you call that just gas? And yes, Blu. Twenty four people died!"

"So what should I do about that?" Indigo asked his friend.  

"That's so awful, their poor families will be in pain". Blu said.

Antonio stood up, dusting his butt, he took the now empty can and planned to walk away.

"Where are you going?" Indigo asked his friend, wondering why he just stood up like that.

"Somewhere your contrasting twin nature wouldn't give me headache".  Antonio explained before picking up his backpack.

"The both of you should try and be watching news on Television. It's not nice to be ignorant to the things that happens around you". Antonio said before walking away, waving his hands as he walked away.

Not long did their Aunty Mary walked into the field to pick them up from school.
_______________________________✍️

    Dure sat on the cream leather couch in the living room, his elbows rested on his laps l, looking lost into the distance with his mother, sitting on the right arm of the couch, rubbing her son's back to keep him calm, Shivaniqa sitting on the double sitter couch, her legs aggressively shaking, fuming and the same time, smiling like a lunatic every once in a while.

The room was silent. No one was saying anything. No one even had the guts to say anything. They were all lost in their own worlds.

    Just then Phillips walked into the mansion, taking each step slow, walking as majestically as he saw fit. A smart maid seeing him coming from the distance, knows his presence would lead to disasters, ran to her mistress to inform her of the incoming danger.

  Mrs Henia rose to her feet, ran to meet her other son who was about to take his first step on the stairway and pulled him out of the mansion with all her strength, closing the doors of the mansion that has almost never been shut before, behind her.

Phillips looked at his mother with eager eyes, curious to know why his mother dragged him that way, her grip on her son's hand loosening while they locked eyes.

"Where are you coming from?" She started, looking him dead in the eye to make sure he wasn't lying. She raised her son and knew him like the back of her hand. She knew that it was impossible for him to lie when she locked eyes with him. His eyes always twitch whenever he told a lie.

  "And since when did it become a norm to be questioned on my whereabouts?" Phillips threw the question back at his mother, not appreciating it one bit and disappointed that she didn't even ask him, how his day went.

She kept quiet, her gaze turning to a glare. She was dead serious about this and she didn't want her son to think in anyway that she was joking around. The peace of the family is at stake and now that her elder son had come to live with them till he builds another mansion for himself, she had to make sure, Phillips and Dure don't kill each other before she leaves this world one day. She wasn't ready to bury any child.

  "Can we at least go to my room, let me shower, rest before we continue this discussion?" Phillips asked politely, when he saw his mother wasn't changing her expression, narrowing her eyes at him, her feet tapping the flow in a slow metronome and her arms folded over her small chest, he had better start talking.

If there was anything she had noticed, it was that her son had changed.  From the time she set her eyes on him when he was just back from his trip, she couldn't see the innocence in his eyes anymore. The beautiful glow when he smiled wasn't in his eyes anymore. She knew something was wrong. Terribly wrong. 

He wasn't the innocent boy he used to be, that she knew. In his eyes, all she could see was ambition. He was slowly turning into the direction his father is right now and if she doesn't do something about it, things will most likely get out of hand.

But still she was ready to hope, that her son isn't who she's assuming he is. That he's still the little boy who told his father he wasn't interested in the family business, the little boy who walked up to his father and told his father that he was soon going to end in jail for his illegal activities and almost got killed by his own father.

  "When your brother's house was burning, where were you?!" She finally asked, the billion dollar question. That was enough to offend him. His expression fell instantly and another took it's place. Annoyance. Irritation. Call it what you may, but it definitely wasn't pleasant towards his mama.

  "What do you mean?" He growled at his mother, even though he was unintentional about it.

"I don't know, son. You tell me?" She threw the question back at him, his expression confirming the fear in her heart. She was on the verge of tears but she didn't want him to see it.

"Mother!" He recoiled, his eyes were already glistening with tears.

  As for Phillips, this is the more reason why he had to kick Dure out his life. He was tired of living in his brother's shadow. A brother that isn't even linked to him by blood. Anytime the Henias are being talked about, the first thing they say is Dure Henia or Wilson Henia. His name has never been mentioned by anyone else but himself and his friends. It was time for power to change hands. But while he needed to do that, he also needed his mother's trust, who has always stayed by his side till now, never backing down for once.

"I only asked where you were when your brother's house was burning down. All you needed to do was answer the question" His mother stated.

"In that tone? More like you're suspecting me".

"Son, who else could fit into that if not you?" She asked him, stretching her hands so she could place it on her son's shoulders but he backed away from her.

"Dure's a businessman and just like father he has stepped on toes. There are millions of people out there who want him dead!"

"But why did they decide to act now? Why did they have to wait till you're back? Why didn't they do it all these years while you were away?!" She asked her son, the tears couldn't be kept in anymore.

It was confirmed. She didn't trust him. And that was enough to put off his humanity switch. He knew he was turning to a monster but he had prayed that part of his humanity is left, for his mother who loved and guided him all these years, but now, there was no reason to hold back anymore.

"Am I even your son anymore?" He asked, those tears cascading his cheeks freely, his heart felt like a knife made a hole in it and was turned. It kept hurting.

  She placed her hands on his warm red but wet cheeks. "I just want my son to be free of bloodstains. To not have the blood of others on his hands. That's all I want, son!"

  "It hurts to know, that the last person who I thought would believe in me, no matter what, never for once put her trust in me!" He exclaimed, pulling her hands away from his cheeks slowly and turning to walk away.

"Phillips!!!" His mother called but he had turned his ears against her. Since no one trusted him, it was time to manifest what he was truly capable of. Of course, Nora is the key to his Victory but she was also his most dangerous opponent.