Chapter 1

“Hurry up Dawn!” my friend Lindsey called as I tried to run to her as she waited at the bus stop. The bus would be here any minute so I had to hurry. She was waving at me her brown, wavy hair blowing in the wind. Her light brown eyes were full of excitement because today we got to go shopping. It was very rare since we both didn’t have money to spend, usually. But today was different. Two weeks ago I got a job at Starbucks like Lindsey, so I could earn some money.

“Sorry,” I said trying not to trip as a reached a crack in the sidewalk. Just when I reached the stop, the bus came. We both got on and put our tickets in the machine at the front. We didn’t own cars and when you live in a place like San Francisco you had to have some type of transportation. Both our parents worked really hard and late so they didn’t have time to drive us anywhere.

As we sat down I noticed Lindsey was more excited than she usually was. “You look like you’re gonna have a spaz attack,” I said to her as she looked at me.

“Well it’s just the greatest thing in the world happened to me yesterday,” she said almost bouncing up and down.

“What?” I said in amazement. Not a lot of good things happen to us very often so I was surprised.

“I got accepted into Julliard!” she said. We both screamed while people on the bus looked at us and thought we were both insane. I hugged her as hard as I could, tears of joy coming from my eyes. Lindsey had been dancing since she was two, and she always imagined and dreamed of herself as a dancer. We both didn’t have much money, but she had raised money from dance shows and jobs she had taken to pay for college. Lindsey almost never spent her money because she wanted to pay for college. That’s why we didn’t go shopping much. She had danced at her audition two months ago and we had been waiting for the results.

“Oh my god! We have got to celebrate!” I said to her after we were both collected enough to talk. “And I have the perfect way to do it,” I told her with a smile on my face. We both looked at each other and screamed, “PARTY!” Now the people on the bus looked at us like we were mental, but I didn’t care at that point.

“My place or yours?” Lindsey asked.

“How about Toxic Water?” I said. Toxic Water was the new club that had just opened up. The club was “alcoholic free” which meant that there were mostly teens in the club. Most people didn’t want to pay or get busted for having fake IDs so I guess this was a good thing. She was about to protest when I said, “I’ll pay. This is special and you deserve to have a great party.” She groaned but didn’t say anything else since she knew she couldn’t say anything to make me change my mind.

We both got out our cell phones and started making calls. Knowing Lindsey I started to call some girls because she was probably inviting lots of cute guys.

Right when I hung up the phone, our stop came. Lindsey was still on the phone, so I had to nudge her to tell her our bus was at the stop. After a few seconds, she hung up.

I was about to ask her what shop we should go to first but then I realized she had her thinking face on. “Oh no,” I said.

“What?” she asked trying to play dumb.

“You are not hooking me up with a random guy again.” That was Lindsey’s habit. She thinks that if you don’t flirt or talk to a guy at a party there’s no point in going to one. Lucky for me, I am really clumsy. I’m especially clumsy when I’m talking to a guy. Lindsey on the other hand is a natural. She always grabs a random guy (thank god all the guys she chooses are at least cute) and leaves us to talk. I always end up doing something really stupid. One time a guy invited me to go to the basement with me to play some pool. As I was going down the stairs I tripped and fell. That was really embarrassing as you can imagine. On top of it the guy started laughing.

“Sure,” she said with a mischievous grin on her face. Great. She wasn’t going to change her plans.

I changed the subject and asked, “Where to?”

“Forever 21!” she said like I was the dumbest person ever. I liked that store but Lindsey loved it. And when I say she loves it I mean she loves it. I usually end up sitting on a bench and waiting outside because I get tired of standing in the store so much.

As we reached the store, Lindsey squealed. She opened the door and immediately started looking at clothes. She didn’t realize that the door had almost hit my face. That’s Lindsey.

I grabbed some clothes that looked nice and I went into the dressing room. I ended up buying a spaghetti strapped purple dress, an off-the-shoulder pink top, and some ripped jeans. I couldn’t spend much because I was going to have to pay for the party tonight. After a while of standing around the store just looking, I got tired of standing so I decided to go outside onto a bench.

When I went outside I was distracted by a weird crow when I ran smack into a pole. Then I tried to step back and I ran into someone. “Oh my god I’m so sorry,” I apologized. I looked up to see who I had bumped into to find a really and I mean really hot guy. He was really tall and muscular. His hair was dark brown and short. And his eyes were amazing. They were a deep brown. I never thought someone could have eyes as dark as his. I started rambling apologies because I didn’t know what else to say.

“It’s fine,” he said in a humorous tone. His voice was amazing to. It was like velvet. “I’m Sam,” he said. Stupidly, I just stared at him, zoning out. “What’s your name?” he asked me.

I snapped out of my trace-like zone out and said, “Dawn. My name’s Dawn.” I’m such an idiot can’t I figure out something better to say? I tried again and asked, “How come I haven’t seen you around before?”

“Oh I’m new,” he replied. “I just moved in from Nevada. I’m gonna go to the high school nearby.”

“Do you mean East High School,” I asked trying to conceal my excitement.

“Yeah,” he said. “Do you go there?” he asked sounding very interested.

“Yeah,” I answered.

Suddenly Lindsey came bursting through the store doors saying, “Oh my god, I got the cutest dress ever and—,” she suddenly stopped and saw Sam. “Dawn, I didn’t know you had a friend.” She shot me a look that said we are going to talk later.

“I’m Sam,” he said. “I just moved in.”

“Oh?” she said with one eyebrow up. “I have a great way you can meet people and make friends,” she said. “Why don’t you come to Toxic Water tonight at 9? I’m having a party.”

“Sounds good to me,” he said enthusiastically.  “I’ll see you there,” he said and started walking.

Once he had disappeared around the corner Lindsey said to me, “We have got to talk.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plz comment and tell me wat u think :D