Chapter 29 - The Secret's Out

Start from the beginning

I stepped forward, grabbing a handful of his t-shirt and pulling him down, crashing my lips against his.
Dylan didn't hesitate to pull me against him and kiss me back. It felt like fireworks were going off in my heart. I could vaguely hear the cheers and clapping from the crowd behind us, but I was too lost in his kiss to care. To me it felt like we were the only two people in that room and nothing and no one else mattered.

I finally pulled back and looked up into his eyes,  with my heart pounding and a big smile on my face, trying to catch my breath. He stood there, looking down at me and studying my eyes. There was something behind his gaze that I recognized because I felt it too. It was longing. I could tell he wanted me just as much as I wanted him.

Then I slowly became aware of all the eyes around the room that were staring at us and all the phones they were holding that had just recorded our kiss. My cheeks blushed and I cleared my throat and laughed awkwardly, rubbing the back of my neck and suddenly feeling self conscious.

Then I heard someone clear their throat from behind us and I turned around to see Dave standing there with his arms crossed across his chest.

"You should probably get back to work. There are a lot of people still waiting for coffee," he said, sounding mildly annoyed.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry Dave," I told him with a weak smile.

Dylan reached over and slipped the black apron on again, tying it behind him and I turned around and started making my signature coffee drink. It was going to be really hard to concentrate on making coffee after that kiss. I was probably going to mess up every single order.

I glanced back over at Dylan and when I saw that he was looking at me too, I smiled shyly and my cheeks blushed again before I looked away. Damn, this man was doing things to me I couldn't even explain. I was a grown woman that was about to graduate from college, but I felt like a giddy, lovesick teenager.

The coffee shop stayed busy the rest of the night, the busiest I had ever seen it. It seemed like every single student and teacher from Morningside College that I had ever had a class with came in, even the guy from the basketball team that had asked me to come watch his game. He didn't flirt with me this time though. He just said, "Now I understand why you didn't come watch my game," before throwing a tip in the tip jar and walking away. Word must have spread to him about Dylan's song to me and the kiss.

At closing time, Dave had to shoo the customers out to get them to leave, even though there was still a line of them waiting for autographs and selfies with Dylan. Dave didn't care. He was ready to close up.

I was surprised by that because he seemed like such a huge fan of Dylan Chase before all this happened, so he should have been able to relate to how those fans felt. When the last one walked out, he locked the door and put his back to it, letting out an exhale. 

"What a crazy night huh?" I asked.

"Yeah, we've never been that busy," Dave said, walking over and plopping down into a chair, looking exhausted.

"We made more tips tonight than we usually make in a year. We might just have to keep you around," I said jokingly, nudging Dylan with my elbow and smiling.

Dylan was helping me wipe off tables and stack the chairs on top of them so we could mop.

"I'm glad I could help," he said with a smile in my direction.

Then I looked over and noticed the grumpy look on Dave's face and he grumbled something under his breath about inventory before getting up and heading into the kitchen, leaving the door swinging back and forth behind him from how hard he hit it walking through. That wasn't like him at all. It made an awkward tension in the room and Dylan and I finished up silently.