Chapter 24

Dinner was served.

Amaris could smell it downstairs, as she stood in front of her dresser, mustering up the courage to go and get this over with. It would be fine... right? She wouldn't clue anyone into the fact that she and Lucien had been sleeping together for days already, meeting up behind her family's backs. Nobody would know... she wouldn't let them find out... it would be fine... just fine.

She didn't believe that at all.

Elijah called for her to come to the courtyard. Gulping, she forced herself down, wearing a nice tank top, but her usual jeans. It wasn't meant to be too formal of an event. Dresses would just make her feel uncomfortable in such a high-stakes environment.

She saw their guests had nearly all arrived. Lucien was there, with Tristan, both of them in suits. Tristan was holding a bouquet of flowers settled into a large ornate pot.

"Good evening," said Amaris, taking Elijah's hand when he offered it to escort her from the stairs to the table.

Tristan offered her the flowers. "A gift for you and your sister, the ladies of the house." He bowed. "I am Tristan de Martel."

"Amaris Paxon," she said simply, nodding to him and taking the flowers. She glanced at Elijah. "Will Freya be joining us—?"

"In a moment," said Elijah with a smile. Behind them, Kol and Klaus came downstairs.

"Lovely," said Klaus. "We're all getting along."

"Mmm, like a fuse and a match," said Lucien. He and Amaris looked at one another, but both quickly turned away.

"I take it Aurora is on her way?" inquired Klaus, not noticing their interaction.

Suddenly, the redhead appeared in the doorway, donning a dark-purple velvet dress with puffy sleeves. "I'm sorry I'm late. Just freshening up. I did want to look pretty." She smiled at Lucien. "Well, well, if it isn't my old friend Lucien."

"Hello, Aurora," he said calmly. "It's been ages."

She turned to Amaris. "And you must be one of the long-lost sisters. Amy, was it?"

"Amaris," she said tightly after depositing the bouquet onto the table. "It's good to meet you, Aurora."

"Welcome to our home," said Elijah, wanting to be done with the greetings. He'd noticed Kol made no effort to address anyone present, and had already sat down. "I do wish it was under better circumstances. We all face a common threat— a prophecy warning that my siblings and I would all fall within a year. I fear my sister already has."

"Only as a precautionary measure, I assure you," said Tristan.

"Interesting," said Elijah dryly. "You see, I would have called it an entirely unnecessary measure. We need to unite to prevent the prophecy from coming to pass. And, since any alliance is impossible without honesty..." He gestured between Lucien and Tristan. "Let us begin this evening's proceedings by formally acknowledging your clandestine alliance."

Tristan looked surprised that they knew. Lucien did not. "But of course," said Tristan, eyes flickering to Lucien. "I imagine you made them aware of this?"

"Lucien has proved helpful," said Klaus. "He realized that aligning with the winning team was the smartest move." He smirked. "Isn't that right, Lucien?"

"When I realized what we were up against, I knew it was unwise to go with our plan," said Lucien carefully to Tristan. "We expected to face only the three remaining Originals. Instead, upon arrival, we learned of two new sisters and of Kol's resurrection. It would be foolish to try and trap them."