Chapter 5

It was kind of a piece of cake.

She wasn't sure where that expression came from. Cutting cake was rather difficult if one wanted a nice slice, and pieces of cake didn't tend to be perfect. So why did it mean that something would be easy?

Amaris abandoned her quest to determine the origin of the expression. She went to bed that night, managing to sleep peacefully knowing that Klaus wasn't in the house to hurt her. In the morning, she showered, and had a plentiful breakfast, before walking into the courtyard and finding Kol and Davina were working on a spell.

She didn't dare interrupt while they were chanting, but she moved closer curiously, peering over their shoulders.

"It's finished," said Davina, after they'd dipped a creepy straw poppet into a cauldron filled with a foul-smelling liquid. "But I'm afraid it's not enough to protect Cami's body from Esther's magic."

"What's wrong with Cami?" asked Amaris curiously, making her presence known.

They both flinched. "Sorry," she said quickly. "Didn't mean to scare you."

"Sure you're not part vampire, sister?" asked Kol teasingly.

She cracked a smile. "Not to my knowledge. What does your mother have to do with Cami?"

He sighed, "Well, seems like my mother wants to use Cami's body as a vessel, to jump Rebekah into. She's got this mad plan to make my siblings take human bodies. It's fine and dandy for me, I love being a witch again. The others, though, not as willing."

"If we don't find a way to protect Cami," explained Davina, "Esther could jump Rebekah into her body when she least expects it. We need to get those marks off of her back." She shook her head. "This is so complicated."

"I might know a way to distract you from your troubled mind," said Kol flirtatiously, winking at Davina.

Suddenly Marcel entered the room. "You can take this seriously," he said loudly, "or I can lock you in a coffin like your brother Finn, if you prefer."

"I'm sorry, what?" said Amaris. "Finn is in a coffin?"

Apparently so, because Kol went straight to answering Marcel's question. "No, no," said Kol, "I'd prefer you to bugger off, because this spell needs time to cook in peace."

"Cami doesn't have time. Esther can jump anybody into her body right now."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, but she's not going to jump anybody. She's going to jump Rebekah, who just happens to be miles away. But, fair dues, Marcel, I think I'd be a bit testy, too, if my old ex was about to jump into my new ex. I think that would be a bit, uh..."

"...awkward?" offered Cami as she entered the room.

Kol shrugged. "I was going to say kinky, but..."

Amaris had found this funny. Marcel had not. He sped to Kol, grabbing him by the collar of his shirt, but Cami quickly intervened. "I appreciate the chivalry, Marcel, but he'll have an easier time protecting me if he's alive."

Marcel scowled. "Keep working," he told Kol. He gestured for Cami to follow him. "Come on, let's get you some breakfast."

Amaris, not wanting to disturb the spell progress, and not thinking she was invited to dine with Cami, tiptoed into the ballroom, where she found herself going through a hallway to reveal a coffin that was propped up against the wall. Looking around quickly, she popped it open. Finn's unconscious host body fell onto her, and she picked him up, carrying him to a nearby chair.

"Hey," she said, waving her hand at his dazed face. "Hey... stay here!"

She ducked back into the kitchen. Marcel and Cami didn't suspect a thing as she gathered some food and water bottles and skipped the other room.