Chapter 6

Finn didn't seem suspicious.

Amaris was asking too many questions and she knew it. Sitting on the counter, her phone off to the side where Finn could see it, completely turned off. She kept glancing down at Mikael between telling Finn to dictate what he was doing and why he was doing it. Though it irritated him, he didn't stop. He didn't think she could piece together what he was actually planning.

But she didn't need to know the exact plan to determine that something was about to happen to Klaus and Kol.

She didn't care about Klaus. Really, she didn't. But she would not allow anything to happen to Kol, especially not when he was in a mortal body.

"You know," she said, hoping Finn wouldn't immediately wave his hand to knock her out, "I can understand your bitterness toward them, really, I can, but how does it make it any better if you try to hurt them? How does it make youbetter than them? How does it make you the moral man you claim to be?"

He shot her a warning look. "They've done something to my mother. They deserve everything they're going to get."

"Finn, they're never going to be open to hearing your side of the story unless you stop trying to murder them. They're your siblings. Our siblings."

He held up his hand, and she tensed as if to brace herself, but he didn't cast any spells. "You are quickly approaching your talking limit," he said. "You want to act like a stubborn child, I'll treat you like one."

"Kol is my brother," she said. "My little brother. I laughed at his jokes for a long time. I saw everyone being unfair to him. I don't want you to hurt him. I don't want you to hurt any of them, Finn, please. Let me advocate for you, let me encourage them to see that they were wrong for what they did to you, let me make them apologize—"

"It is too late for an apology!" he snarled.

She got to her feet. "You tried to kill them!" she spat. "I watched you preparing yourself to be a sacrifice! Ending their lives as if they owed them to you! They are monsters but that never gave you the right to decide when they are done living! What if they can be redeemed and you didn't give them a chance to—"

"I will tell you the same thing I told Cami," he replied fiercely. "People don't change. Redemption isn't real. There is right and wrong, good and evil. That's it."

"The world isn't black and white, Finn! I'm not even from this time and I know that. Things are more complicated than that! I got a second chance at life thanks to your mother. I don't know what I did to deserve that. So if there is a second chance for other people, I will show them that! I saw Klaus when he was preparing to be a father— you didn't. He was becoming kinder, more tender. And then he lost his baby girl and it broke him. It broke him into a million pieces and he was already messed up before, so imagine how he feels now! He is cruel and evil and he doesn't like me, and I wouldn't care if he lived or died, but there is some good in him, Finn. He isn't solely evil, he isn't only someone who committed wrongs. There are good deeds mixed into all the bad. There is a chance for him to be a better man, but if you keep poking and poking, he's going to snap and you're going to be the one that gets hurt. I don't want any of you to get hurt! The whole point of me being here is wanting you all to know me and that can't happen if you're dead!"

He just stared at her, his jaw tightening. Her eyes flickered to the manacles, and he caught her. "Don't even think about it," he said. "I'm channeling Mikael's strength— those flimsy things won't be able to hold me anymore."

"Cut the crap with trying to hurt them, please," she said. "Surely there's another way... some way you can make them see reason, see what you're trying to tell them, without..." she gestured at the table in front of them, "all of this crazy stuff."

Moonlight | Lucien CastleOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara