Teach me how to flirt, Ten.

Chapter ten:

The house was quiet.

It was really quiet.

Ella sighed and dropped her keys reluctantly on the couch before joining them. Zack drove her back home after they ate, watched TV, made out and finally slept for a couple of hours.

He had an appointment, something about Pedro, but she couldn’t remember exactly, and now it was twelve thirty at noon, and she was utterly and completely bored out of her mind.

She seems to have gotten used to the fact that Zack is always there around her.

Sitting up straight and glaring at the family’s picture, she decided that she will not let her affection towards Zack changed who she was. Men don’t make her who she is, she is the one who makes herself.

And with that sudden change of mood, she jumped off the couch and looked for the phone.

Dialing Maryanne’s number, she took a breath. Her best friend actually told her the day before that she needed her help, but Ella was too caught up with her own life to care.

“Hello” a woman’s voice replied, Ella said hi back to Maryanne’s mother and chatted with her for a while before finally asking for Mary.

“Well honey, she is probably sleeping, but I will tell her you called.”

“No, I need her. It’s an emergency…. I, I think I am sick.” Ella lied terribly but she seemed to succeed when she heard Mary’s mom’s gasp.

“Oh my god! How? When?!” she questioned hysterically, Ella felt sorry for the kind woman, but she managed to sniff and say,” I don’t know exactly, but please, I need to talk to my best friend.”

The woman immediately excused herself and in a couple of minutes, Maryanne’s scream filled the phone.

“How could you be sick?! How are you sick?! Oh my god! When were you sick! Ella, I’m coming to your place right NOW!” and before Ella could even say anything, the phone hung up on her.

That’s karma, Ella. You did it to Zack, Mary did it to you too.

Ella knew that Mary wouldn’t ignore the white lie, and so, Ella just laid down the couch and kept shuffling between random television channels.

When finally the bell rang, Ella ran towards it and opened to find Mary crying in front of the door.

Okay, her lie isn’t that white now.

“Mary? Why are you crying?” stupid question Ella, a very stupid question.

“Why? My best friend is sick and you’re asking me why?” she bellowed entering the house. Ella cleared her throat and closed the door before following her inside the house.

“I mean, yesterday we were talking and everything was amazing. I have no idea what happened. You were supposed to be healthy, happy. When the hell did you go to the doctor? And when did he say you’re sick? Were you hiding this from me?” she spoke quickly making Ella get a little dizzy, then Mary turned around to stare at her terrified and she gasped before exclaiming,” you knew you’re dying all along?!”

Ella smiled and shrugged before saying,” Mary, I lied to your mom so she could let me talk to you.”

Maryanne’s eyes stared at her then it roamed around the room slowly before settling on her again.

“Wait, let me get this straight. You lied to my mom, because she told you I was sleeping?” Mary said deadly.

Ella smiled innocently and decided to defend herself because Mary looked like she was about to pounce on her.

“You know how your mom is extremely cheap with phone calls, and she knows we talk for hours on the phone, so I figured why not say this little teeny white lie.”

Mary narrowed her eyes and regarded Ella like an animal guarding its prey.

“Mary, I was calling because you told me there was something you needed my help in.”

With that, Mary blinked and her face’s color fell a few levels. She slowly sat on the couch and started fiddling with her fingers.

“Mary?” Ella asked slowly sitting beside her. Mary then looked at her and bit her lip in fear before saying pleadingly,” I know when you told me if it was a boy or not and I told you no, but actually I was scared cause you bellowed in my ear and I had to lie or otherwise you would have fought with me and if you did we would have kept thinking about it and you would have felt bad and me too, I will be in a bad mood so I figured why not lie too but the truth is that I was actually having some boy trouble and –“

“What the Eff is going on Mary? You’re talking like a ruined cassette god damn it!” Ella bellowed when she couldn’t take no more.

Mary licked her lips and kept playing with her fingers furiously before finally saying, “Ella, it’s something that has to do with Noah.”

Ella nodded slowly and tried to remember the last time she spoke to Noah.

She couldn’t remember.

“Okay, what about him?” Ella asked coldly, and then she frowned slightly because of how mean she was being. After all, their history is over and she is supposed to be trying to get back at him.

Mary looked at her worried before swallowing and whispering,

“I need to take your permission to date him.”

Ella’s shocked eyes flew to hers and she screamed,” WHAT!”