Chapter 11

I looked out to the sea as Zuko walked to me.

"Don't trust him," I said bluntly.

"Why?" Zuko asked approaching the railing, standing next to me.

I silently watched the waves. The words of the spirit came back to me. The words of the Lady of the Ocean, 'change,' I wondered if everyone deserves change. Truly.

"He isn't as good of a person as he seems," I said keeping my eyes glued to the waves.

I scratched my palm intensely, "I met him once. He almost flooded a whole village. Then he manipulated my sister to think he was doing the right thing. If it wasn't for Sokka, all those poor people would've drowned to death," I said looking to him.

The fact that that I wouldn't say Jet's name out loud was a stark signal that I wanted nothing to do with him. My mind just wanted to block him out.

"He recognized you?" Zuko asked.

"Yup," I sighed, turning back to see the ocean.

Zuko took my hand into his, holding it softly and warmly,"Don't let it get to you,"

I smiled softly. Zuko returned the gesture. The moon shined on us as the waves crashed loudly, I looked down and back to Zuko who was waiting for a reply.

"It's fun to hear you try and cheer me up," I teased.

He walked me back to where Iroh was. We both sat down, he turned to sleep. A cool breeze passed by.

I leaned on my side against the railing taking in the open sea. The smell of salt I missed so much. A reminder of home. I didn't want to feel sad. I tried to ignore everything that happened to me the past months, even years. I wanted someone to hear my cries of pain, but I also wished no one could see it, I wanted to be comforted, but to have no one comfort me at all. I closed my eyes as a single tear dropped from my face. I wanted to believe I was fine. I tried to convince myself that I wasn't in pain. That I felt nothing but instead I became overwhelmed, with myself and my past. My emotions rampaged inside of me, clenching my fists. I thought on how I never got to say goodbye to Rui, that I couldn't even see his grave because he didn't have one and how I could never be able to hear my mother sing to me again. I touched my necklace.

A warm hand wiped my tear. I opened my eyes to see Zuko watch me sadly.

"Can't sleep?" Zuko asked.

I cleared my throat,"Its nothing,"

"Doesn't look like nothing," Zuko said as he kept his hand against my cheek.

"The weight of my burdens are finally catching up to me," I laughed,"I guess that's what I get for caring,"

Zuko looked into my eyes,"Never stop caring," He said softly caressing my cheek.

I looked at his lips as he said those words. A sudden urge came over me, an urge I wanted to ignore, the same one I felt back when Zuko wanted to redirect lightning. I looked down and placed my forehead on his shoulder.

"I won't," I replied.

I wanted to kiss him. I really wanted to, but I didn't know if he felt the same. And deep down I was afraid if he didn't.

Zuko ran his fingers through my hair, lifting my face back up. He leaned in and kissed me sweetly. I melted into the kiss. I couldn't think of anything else at that moment, all my pain washed away. Lifting my hands that were painfully clenched, up to hold his face as the sea breeze blew through my hair. I didn't want that moment to end.

We broke the kiss catching our breath as we looked at each other. A blush painted both of our faces.

Did I really just kiss Zuko? Do I love him? Does he love me?