A Family That Loves Together

Part 3 of High Risk

Alyssa

I stuck my hand into the glove, the desire to feel her skin for real burning in my heart. Jada Adalyn Graham was born premature at seven months weighing four pounds and seven ounces through a C-section.

She was so small and had to be placed in an incubator to finish her development. She also had to clear out an infection in her lungs which were one of the organs she still had to finish developing.

Doctors say she has a high probability of having asthma and will be more prone to lung disease and cancer. She had to have a feeding tube and a mask on to help her breath.

It was painful seeing her in that condition, not just for me, but also for Nathan. Since she was born, he'd put a brave face on, promising that she was going to be okay, that she'd get the best care known to man. I haven't seen him with any other expression but a hopeful one.

Yesterday, Oliver told me that he caught Nathan crying. The man wasn't full on sobbing but a few tears left his eyes. Of course he wiped them away when he noticed Oliver's presence but that doesn't change the fact that he was just as scared as I was, only he refused to show me.

“Love?” I turned around to see the man holding my small bag. “It's time.”

I nodded, looking back to Jada, stroking her tiny hand with my gloved finger. I heard him come closer and felt his hand on my shoulder.

He rubbed slowly, massaging the muscle. “She'll be fine.”

I nodded, trying to believe the next words that came out of my mouth. “I know.”

“She looks so peaceful.” He said, sticking his hand into the other glove to stroke her face and her white hair.

That's was also a concern of mine when I first saw her. I remember asking 'why is her hair white?' so many times. It's a miracle that the doctors weren't annoyed with me.

To answer that question, the said it was just a mutation in her genes, that it would not impact her health in any way. All it did was set her apart from others.

I liked it.

She wasn't like other babies and I didn't mind.

Nathan pulled away from her a few minutes later and tapped my shoulder. I set out a sigh, pulling my hand away too. She didn't react and just kept breathing.

I stood up, holding Nathan's hand as he gave mine an assuring squeeze. We said a quick goodbye to the doctor and nurse that were taking care of Jada before heading for the hospital exit.

I had been discharged two days ago, a week after the operation but she wasn't. I'd come back everyday since to watch over her even if there was a team of doctors and nurses doing so.

They did advise that I be with her constantly to form a sort of bond with her. It would be a bit like she was still in my womb and maybe encourage her.

I didn't question it, just gave me an excuse to be with her longer.

We got home after a silent drive and immediately my boys jumped on me, enquiring about their sister.

“How is she?”

“Is she done growing yet?”

“When is she coming home?”

I couldn't answer before my abuela came. “Alright boys, why don't you check the pollo al ajillo?” They obeyed immediately, well, Oliver had to pull Erik and Eran before they left, but we were alone soon after. “So, mi corazón, how was today?”