Pregnancy Moments

Nathan

Alyssa's pregnancy was mostly an easy one except for the times it was not.

Like every other pregnant woman, she had the weirdest cravings, pain in strange places and incredible mood swings as the weeks went by and I went through them all with her knowing I was the one who ‘put her in that situation’ as she says.

To me it was all worth it.

Pregnancy Week: 6

I was just finishing up with work when I received a text from Alyssa.

Can you please get some fried chicken on your way back?

I, of course, agreed to because if I didn't, there would be dire consequences. She was glad to hear that I was able and I finished up my work.

After my last meeting, I received some news that got me overjoyed. Excited to tell Alyssa the news, I rushed home.

She opened the door for me and welcomed me fondly with a nice hug and a kiss. I returned the gesture with the same enthusiasm, but that was shortlived.

“Where's the fried chicken?” She asked, having only seen my work bag in my hands.

I cursed at myself silently for forgetting as her smile turned into a deep frown. Alyssa was a quick-tempered woman before but with her pregnancy it got worse, much worse.

“Did you forget?” She demanded.

How do I say this? If I tell her ‘yes’, she will get angry and if I lie and say ‘no’, she will get even more angry because I lied.

She let out a high-pitched growl, already knowing the answer. “I cant believe this! The one thing I ask you get me because the baby's been wanting it all day and you went ahead and forgot. Well, I guess the baby and I are going to starve because you forgot our dinner!”

The rest of what she said was mumbled as she stormed away. I felt terrible even though it wasn't my fault. Oliver came down just as she went up, knowing what just happened.

“You didn't get the fried chicken, did you?” He asked, staring up at me innocently.

“Yep.” I sighed. “How did you know about it anyway?”

“Mommy told me she was gonna tell you to get some and she said you better not forget.” He explained. “And she said it with that ‘I mean business’ voice so I think your in a lot of trouble now.”

I permitted myself to laugh a bit. “I am. Can you stay and do some damage control while I go get it?”

He nodded while I grabbed my keys. “I'll give her a hug and you get the chicken and yum yum sauce.”

“She never mentioned yum yum sauce.” I pointed out.

“Well, she wants it.”

“But…”

“She want yum yum sauce.” The way he widened his eyes and nodded his head told me to not argue about it. We still had some at home.

“Okay.”

“She wants the one from the restaurant not the one we have, she thinks it's icky.”

I simply shook my head and walked out of the house to my car. I took me roughly half an hour to get what she wanted and I guessed by that time she was calm.

She was, but she was also completely unwilling to even look at the chicken.

“I don't want it anymore.” She grumbled, pulling the covers over her head.