Kennedy wasn't sure. I watched her weigh the idea in her head, ultimately coming to the conclusion it was a bad choice as she shook her head in refusal. "I'm fine."

Her stomach protested that remark by making a sound once more.

I folded my arms, standing my ground. Okay, I could do the whole "friends-with-benefits" thing, but I wasn't an asshole. She was clearly hungry and I wasn't about to just throw her out. Discard her as if she were trash.

"Listen," I began, getting straight to the point. "I'm nice in the kitchen, but I promise if I feed you, you're not gonna fall in love with me, baby girl."

Kennedy peered over at me and I didn't back down. "Okay, but I don't eat meat. Just fish."

That proposed an issue. "I don't have anything thawed out." I grabbed my cell phone from my dresser and peeped the time. "And it's a little too late to order takeout on a Sunday." I lifted my head as I devised a plan. "I'll run to the store real quick and get something fresh. Finnegan's is still open."

"Oh, Keith, you don't have to go through all the trouble," Kennedy sat up some more and clutched my sheets to her breasts.

Not to be deterred, I pressed on as I grabbed a fresh pair of socks from my drawer and put them on. "What kind of fish do you like?"

Kennedy sighed. "I love skinless salmon, but any white or mild fish will do."

I nodded, mentally penciling it down. I chanced a look at her over my shoulder, catching the vulnerability on her face. She had a lot going on: forced engagement, sick father, and who knew what else. "You wanna ride with me?"

Kennedy smiled and relaxed, and the sight of her calming down brought me peace. "Yeah, but I don't feel like getting dressed. Hand me my purse, I'll pay for my fish."

I shook my head and stepped into my shoes. "Gotchu."

After grabbing a shirt and pulling it on, I went and sat beside her. The action caused her to shrink. That shy side of her coming forth.

I didn't trust myself to touch her, so I didn't.

"Can I have my hat back?" I asked politely.

Kennedy blushed, shaking her head. "Uh-uh. You gave me a bad hair day, and now I'm going to wear this hat until I leave."

Despite the fact she was being a brat, I smiled. "Okay."

Kennedy looked at me in a way only she could. Curiously. Innocently. Thoroughly. "You have a nice smile."

I rubbed at my jaw, looking away. "Do I?"

"Yeah, it's handsome," Kennedy replied.

Some thought of me as scary, intense—someone to avoid. At the shop, all it took was one look to get my coworkers out of my face when they were incompetent or annoying the shit out of me.

"Hey." Kennedy poked my arm, briefly fingering a tattoo. "Why didn't you kiss me?"

My gaze immediately went to her mouth. "Because you don't want me to."

Kennedy shrugged. "I said you could."

I declined. "I'll kiss you when you want it."

There was nothing worse than a lazy kiss, lazy head, or a lazy fuck. I wanted energy. Desire. And unless Kennedy was feeling it, I'd back off.

Kennedy pouted and that was way too tempting. "Now you're holding out."

I leaned in, closing the gap between us. Taking her chin in my hand, I lifted her face up and peered down at her. I stared at her as she stared up at me.