"And we'll get new Christmas sweaters for each one," Sirius added, straightening the blue sweater with moving snowmen Artemis had bought him at a shop in Hogsmeade.

She chuckled. "Yeah, we'll see about that part."

There was a knock on the door and Artemis crossed the room to fling it open, only to be engulfed in hugs from both Lily and Marlene at once.

"Art!" said Lily, swinging her friend around and planting a kiss on the top of her head. "I haven't seen you in for-fucking-ever!"

Marlene ruffled Artemis's hair. "Maybe if you weren't always so busy with auror training-"

"Auror training is important!" James boomed, coming in the door after the girls.

Artemis grinned and hugged him. "Nice sweater, Potter," she said, turning to show Sirius James's sweater, which had a cartoon photo of Merlin on it and said "Jingle Bell Rock."

Lily caught Artemis's eye and grimaced. "It's his new favorite- he's worn it four times in the last week."

"I'm in the Christmas spirit!" said James.

"Nothing wrong with that," said Sirius, pouring wine for Lily, Marlene, and James.

Marlene took her glass and raised her eyebrows at him. "Got anything else?"

"In the drawer," said Sirius.

Marlene went off to roll her own joint as James produced a backpack full of wrapped presents. Artemis gave his shoulder a loving punch. "We said no gifts!"

"Oh, come off it, it's Christmas!" said James.

Artemis chuckled and took the bag from him. She and Lily headed to the Christmas tree to spread the gifts out underneath. Sirius turned up the volume on the record player and Blue Christmas rang through the speakers. James set his glass down and shook his shoulders a little, dancing to the beat.

Marlene joined Artemis and Lily in the living room as the boys danced together in the kitchen, their socks sliding on the tile floor until both of them had dissolved into laughter. Lily and Artemis settled back onto the couch with Marlene. "All these years, and they're still kids," Lily murmured looking over her shoulder at Sirius spinning James, a broad smile covering his face.

There was another knock on the door, and this time, the visitor didn't wait for anyone to open it. Peter and Mary burst through, laughing and shaking snowflakes from their hair. Peter was carrying a bag of gifts, and Mary, a contained pitcher of something white.

"Hey!" Sirius roared when they walked in, enveloping Mary in a tight hug. "What's that?" He pointed to the pitcher.

"Spiked eggnog!" said Peter, wringing James's hand.

Mary set the pitcher on the counter and poured herself a cup. "Very spiked eggnog."

"That's what I like to hear," said James, pouring himself a glass and joining the girls in the living room.

They spent the next hour drinking and passing joints around, the fire crackling heartily and the Christmas records playing in the background. Sirius leaned back on the cushions and wrapped an arm around Artemis's shoulders. He was at that sweet spot of sobriety, where everything felt just blurry enough. Artemis laid her head on his chest, resting her legs on Marlene's lap.

"We should make this an annual thing," said James.

"That's what I said!" cried Sirius, high fiving James. "Every year, from now on. I don't care if you lot start having kids or whatever, just keep Christmas Eve open."