𝟑.𝟙𝟚.𝟣

"the end of a melody is not its goal: but nonetheless, had the melody not reached its end it would not have reached its goal either

"the end of a melody is not its goal: but nonetheless, had the melody not reached its end it would not have reached its goal either. a parable." ~ Nietzche

~june 1974~

Finals were approaching fast and Lily needed a study partner. She hated studying by herself, preferring to have someone to bounce answers off of and ask questions if she had them. It was her firm belief that people worked better in groups when the work environment was relaxed. She headed down to the common room to find someone to work with. Mary was sitting cross legged perched on the arm of a couch, Gideon's guitar cradled in her arms. Emmeline sat below her on the cushions of the couch, smiling as Mary plucked out a soft Fleetwood Mac song.

Lily approached them. "Mary, d'you mind doing some studying with me? Just for a bit?"

Mary paused the song and looked up at Lily. "Not right now, Lils. I'm busy."

"No you're not," Lily protested. "You're not doing anything."

"I'm serenading," Mary said with feigned annoyance. "Em said she likes Fleetwood Mac so I'm playing her my favorites."

Emmeline grinned up at Lily. "She's incredible."

Lily sighed. "Yeah, okay." She turned and headed across the common room to where Artemis was writing in her notebook by the window. "Art, can you study with me for a bit? Just for finals?"

It took Artemis a moment to register Lily's words. She closed her notebook and looked up with darkened eyes. "Not today, Lily," she said, and her voice sounded exhausted. "I'm not really up for doing anything today."

"You alright?"

Artemis nodded. "Fine, just tired."

Lily frowned and walked off, worrying mildly about her friend's mental state. Artemis had her ups and downs, but she'd seemed especially down the last few days. Lily headed back up to the dormitory, feeling gloomy and annoyed.

Marlene was lying on her back on her unmade bed when Lily joined her in the dormitory. Lily sat on the bed next to her. "D'you want to study with me?" she asked hopelessly.

"Lily, it's summer," Marlene protested.

"It's not really summer until after finals," said Lily. "And anyways, it's all cloudy out. What're you going to do besides study?"

Marlene let out a short laugh. "No offense, but literally anything." She swung her legs over the edge of the bed and stood up. "Is Art around?"

"Down in the common room."

"Great," said Marlene. "I've been wanting to steal that red top of hers for ages." She headed over to Artemis's trunk and started digging through it as Lily watched with disapproval etched all over her face.