Bills Muse and Teachings

Start from the beginning

A Square/Bill wishes to travel to the fourth dimension

A Square/Bill wishes to travel to the fourth dimension. He wants to be able to have the knowledge and experience to know more and more. A Square/Bill has no reason to not believe there's more than the third dimension. However, there is an issue preventing A Square/Bill from this.

"But where is this land of Four Dimensions?" Sphere said.
"I know not: but doubtless my Teacher knows," Square says.
"Not I. There is no such land. The very idea of it is utterly inconceivable." Sphere responded.

You see, beings of the third dimension do not believe in anything higher. They do not believe in the fourth dimension. Just like the beings of Flatland do not believe in the third dimension. To sphere, the idea of a fourth dimension is unheard of. It's a joke and does not exist. However, A Square/Bill did not give up yet. They were positive that they were right.

"Say they so? Oh, believe them not. Or if it indeed is so, that this other Space is really Thoughtland, then take me to that blessed Region where I in Thought shall see the insides of all solid things. There, before my ravished eye, a Cube, moving in some altogether new direction, but strictly according to Analogy, so as to make every particle of his interior pass through a new kind of Space, with a wake of its own - shall create a still more perfect perfection than himself, with sixteen terminal Extra Solid angles, and Eight solid Cubes for his Perimeter. And once there, shall we stay our upward course? In that blessed region of Four Dimensions, shall we linger on the threshold of the Fifth, and not enter therein? Ah, no! Let us rather resolve that our ambition shall soar with our corporal ascent. Then, yielding to our intellectual onset, the gates of the Sixth Dimension shall fly open; after that a Seventh, and then an Eighth -"

Oh, how A Square/Bill's mind soared. They started to believe that if a third dimension exists, then a fourth one would exist. And then a fifth. And then a sixth. And then a seventh- They wanted to go to ALL the dimensions to learn and experience it all. Have you ever heard the term knowledge is power? That term is extremely important to this moment and to Bill as a character. It's very important to keep this detail in the back of your head for later because it truly does mean something.

However, despite A Square/Bill's passion for this knowledge, he was soon shut down by his mentor.

"How long I should have continued I know not. In vain did the Sphere, in his voice of thunder, reiterate his command of silence, and threaten me with the harsh penalties if I persisted. Nothing could stem the flood of my ecstatic aspirations. Perhaps I was to blame, but indeed I was intoxicated with the recent draughts of Truth to which he himself had introduced me."

Sphere was absolutely furious with A Square/Bill. What he was speaking of was completely insane to him. Though Sphere was upset by A Square/Bill's nonsense after calming down he encouraged their passion to learn by teaching more complex things. But to A Square/Bill, it was simple. It was easy. Something even a woman could understand. What he was learning now bored him. They craved for more. And that was what brought Bill's downfall.

A Square/Bill, determined to find and prove that the fourth dimension exists, left spheres guidance to find the other dimension on their own. Though not before Sphere told him to share A Square/Bill's discovery and understanding with the people of Flatland. So, determined by their need for knowledge, or power, A Square/Bill set off to do exactly those things.

As a small note, Bill at the time did not know this, but he was right. If I believe I'm remembering this right, the world of Gravity Falls takes place in the 46th or 48th dimension. And throughout the third part of Journal 3, Ford shares just how many different dimensions he'd traveled to.

Lets review:

- Bill is from the 2nd dimension, a world filled with different kinds of shapes and lines known as Flatland.
- Bill as an equilateral triangle is part of one of the lowest classes in society and is thus mistreated. Flatland has a social hierarchy that has triangles at the bottom, squares next, then pentagons, etc. Circles are at the top of society. At the very bottom (not considered part of society) are irregular triangles and irregular shapes, and the women who are straight lines.
- Unlike equal-sided shapes (every child has one more side than his father), Irregular triangles over many generations of careful breeding can have equilateral triangle sons.
- Bill Cipher, an equilateral triangle, comes from a line of ancestors (the isosceles) who have been oppressed all their lives for generations. Those same ancestors main purpose in society is to eventually give birth to Bill.
- Because of laws in Flatland, Bill would have been forcefully taken away from his birth parents and then adopted by a new family. He'd be forbidden to ever know or meet his birth parents.
- It's likely when growing up, Bill's ego, personality, mental health, and ideology were affected by living in Flatland.
- Bill would have gone to school and then would have started to learn about the hard truth of flatland.
- Bill Cipher's voice is echoey and loud because of Flatland. This is how Flatlanders can discriminate against triangles without being able to see shapes.
- In the gravity falls story, Bill Cipher takes the place of A Square from the book Flatland. Anything that happened to A Square, happened to Bill. The next parts of this review will be explaining what happened.
- A stranger appears before Bill. He is a Sphere (named Sphere) from the 3rd dimension. He explains to Bill that there is a third dimension but Bill does not believe him
- As a way to convince Bill, Sphere takes him into the Mindscape for the first time to see three dimensions.
- The theory of Bill being from Flatland and all the other things mentioned are proven by cannon, never before seen evidence in Journal
- Sphere came to Flatland to attempt to convince the government of flatland there is a dimension.
- The pupil was Bill. Sphere taught Bill all about the third dimension and magic. Eventually, Bill became bored with the information he was given. He wanted to know more. Bill believed there were more dimensions to learn about but Sphere denied this. The two fought and Bill decided he'd discover the fourth dimension by himself without sphere. He left the guidance of Sphere after.