Chapter 13

Once again, I have to excuse myself for not updating for so long even though I wanted to. But I had no internet for more than a week and I couldn't type the whole chapter on my phone. lol

————————————————————-

Lindsey was the first one to wake up the next morning. He was still completely dumbfounded from what he had heard the night before but feeling Stevie cuddled up in his arms made it a lot easier. Carefully, he pulled her closer to him and placed soft kisses on her hair and face while stroking her back. He desperately needed to look into her eyes, those warm, dark, brown chocolate drops he had always loved to get lost in, he needed to hear her voice that calmed him down instantly like no other sound on earth.

"Steph..", he muttered and kissed her ear, "Angel.. baby, wake up.."

"Mmmm..", she mumbled, stirred slightly and then blinked to rub the sleep out of her eyes with her tiny hands.

"Hey..", he said lovingly when she eventually looked up at him.

"Lindsey..", she said quietly and touched his cheeks, "You're still here.."

"Yes."

"You slept here?"

"Of course."

"But.. What about your family? What about Kristen? She..-"

"I don't care!"

"Lindsey-"

"No, Steph!"

"But-"

"Please, listen to me, will you? Just for once, okay?", he asked her pleadingly.

She choked back her newly upcoming tears and nodded reluctantly.

"I know this comes 16 years too late but I'm going to leave Kristen no later than today. It's time, you know. Steph, you and me, we belong together. You know that! I know that! Everybody knows that! And I won't let you tell me to go back to her again! I just won't! You understand that?"

Stevie listened to him and couldn't help but let tears silently run down her cheeks, her lips lightly trembling with emotions.

"I will kiss you once more and then I'll get up to tell my wife that it's over. I have no idea how long this is going to take but I promise I'll be back as soon as possible."

"Lindsey..", she stuttered and tried to free herself out of his embrace, "You can't! Your children-"

"Know that their mother and I are not happy together!", he ended her sentence, "Steph, I just told you there is nothing you can say to change my mind. I've wanted to do this since the very day you talked me into this marriage and I wish you'd never managed to actually make me marry a woman I didn't love. But now, after all you told me last night.. No way, I'd stay away from you any longer! I love you, Stevie! I love you so, so much. I love you more than I've ever loved anybody! I can't be away from you. I just can't! So.. Give me one last kiss and I'll see you later when I'm finally free to be with you like you deserve it."

She looked at him, her eyes still brimming with tears, but he was sure to see a hint of a smile curling up on her lips.

"You're sure?", she asked then and her voice sounded so vulnerable, "You're really sure you want to do this? You want to be with me?"

"Yes.", he said with a smile on his face and reached out for her to pull her back in his arms again, "You and me, Steph. You and me."

"Why me, Linds? What do I have that she doesn't? What is it? Huh?", she asked suddenly, finally relaxing in his arms and letting him hold her.