Chapter 3

December 13th, 2000

Stevie was sitting in her bedroom, furiously scribbling in her journal.

"Fuck!", she yelled suddenly and threw her pen against the wall. The black ink left a big mark on the aesthetic wallpaper.

She buried her head in her hands and as her eyes captured the photo in front of her, she started to curse, scream and cry all over again. She took the photo of Lindsey's and Kristen's invitation card to their wedding from ten months ago in her hands. There they were – a sweet, little family.

Kristen in a beautiful, white wedding dress, Lindsey in a black suit, he had actually gotten rid of his usual leather-jacket-shirt-jeans-combo for one day, and in their arms their little son William. All of them happily laughing into the camera.

She knew she had made the right decision to make him leave her and be with his family but knowing that this could be her, that he had actually wanted to be with her and not this other woman, was killing her. It hurt like fucking hell!

Suddenly, another crying fit overwhelmed her, it had to be the thousandth one since they had broken up, and she ripped the photo in a million pieces. She just couldn't take looking at it any longer!

With a loud sigh, she fell back onto the matress of her beautiful king's size bed. 

Heartbreak – how much more was she able to take? How often can a heart break until it actually breaks the person itself? How much more pain was she supposed to suffer until she would just fall apart?

The ringing of the telephone beside her bed interrupted her thoughts. She snuffled and wiped her tears away before she answered, trying hard to not lose her composure again.

"He-Hello?"

"Hi. Stevie?"

She felt as if her stomach was turning all over and the sudden urge to vomit overcame her. She knew that voice. She knew it far too well. But she hadn't heard it in almost exactly one year.

"Lindsey?"

"Yes, it's me."

"Why-Why are you calling?", she stuttered.

"Well, I wanted to make sure you'll be showing up in two days!"

"What?!"

"Our little arrangement, Stevie! Don't you remember?"

She swallowed hard. Of course, she did remember! How could she forget what he had asked of her? But since she hadn't heard from him in such a long time, she had seriously thought, that he had forgotten about it because he was happy with his family.

"I do remember..", she said very slowly.

"Well, that's good. I already booked the suite. Room 231. The same room as last year."

"Lindsey, I.."

"No, don't even try to excuse yourself for not coming! You will be there! You promised it!"

"But, Lindsey.."

"No! Stevie, if you won't show up, I'll divorce Kristen right the other day!", he said.

"I'll be there..", she said very quietly.

"Okay. I'll see you then. Bye."

Before she could say another word, he had hung up on her.

"Bye..", she mumbled against the phone.

---

December 15th, 2000