Chapter 6 | The Night Out

Start from the beginning

"Don't act like you aren't just as insane. Remember the movie I had with Dev Patel? Years ago when I wasn't even a director yet?"

I avert my gaze from her, "No, I can't seem to recall."

"Ally. Don't even. You came to set every single day! You were knee-deep in studying for your exams but you had time to bring me coffee."

The nail tech and I are looking at each other and he gives me a smirky smile and looks at me with raised brows.

"Okay but!" I add. "Didn't he say that he loved the coffee?"

"He thought you were my assistant." She states while Liz is laughing like a maniac. She has the oddest yet cutest laugh ever.

"True and I might have pretended to be your assistant after he thought that to keep bringing him coffee but he hugged me! Dev Patel hugged me. Not a lot of people can say that."

Shyla playfully rolls her eyes but agrees, "Anyway, I'm not telling you two anything! Maybe you'll find some leaked set pictures online in a few days or so."

"So you're filming in New York?" Liz hastily asks. "I will stalk you, Shay."

"I would too but I'm leaving tomorrow. Liz, I want all the details!"

"Leaving where?" My nail tech asks and I laugh. He is not even hiding that he's listening. Well, we are talking in front of him so it's normal.

"Pennsylvania. It's a work thing."

"Wait. When are you going?" Shyla's nail tech suddenly asks. She is an absolutely gorgeous woman. Her makeup? It's flawless. She should be a makeup artist. Her eyelids are covered in dark red eyeshadow. She has red graphic liner and some beautiful glitter on her eyes too.

"Tomorrow."

"On Sunday?"

I nod and her eyes widen, "Are you one of his lawyers? Michael Bennet?"

The soft tune that was playing in the salon seemingly stops and everyone goes silent. All the whispered conversations just stop. I'm probably exaggerating but it feels like all eyes and ears are on us.

"I am," I answer after swallowing the lump in my throat. "How did you guess that?"

"You have a Wyatt & Meyers pen in your chest pocket," She says.

"You're observant." I laugh but the woman doesn't.

Me working on the case- and objectively standing on the side of the man people call The Priest- is a touchy subject. They call him the priest because some compare his murders to exorcisms.

"Okay, nuh-uh, don't look at her like that." Liz says followed by Shyla, "Exactly. Everyone deserves a fair trial and that's what she's going to help him get. It doesn't mean she's fighting to get him out."

The woman nods, "I suppose. I haven't seen anyone else getting a fair trial but sure! Let the murderer have it."

"I'm sorry, I can't discuss this with you. All I can say is that I want everyone to have a fair trial. Every single human being deserves it. If it were up to me, everyone would be judged fairly. So yes, even Mr. Bennet."

She sighs, "No wonder you're a lawyer with a mouth like that." She ends her statement with a laugh and I can comfortably breathe again.

I hate confrontations.

Yeah, I know, I truly chose the wrong job. At least if you look at my personality, that is. If you look at the things I'm good at, it's the perfect job.