Chapter 4 | The Lawful Way

( POV: ALARA SU WATERS )

Merely a few moments after I get out of the shower and get dressed, I hear my apartment door open and close.

"It's me," Zane announces. "I got you breakfast."

I'm not that comfortable with the fact that he can just enter my home whenever he wants to. He doesn't even have a key so I'm confused as to how he can just enter whenever.

My hair is still wet so I brush it off my shoulders and let it air dry. I'm wearing black sweatpants and a black hoodie that reads Yale University. I don't think anyone in the world could be as comfortable as I am right now. Besides probably those rich women from Beverly Hills. They're getting a whole treatment while I think.

I step out of my bedroom and smile when I see the breakfast that he got.

"Croissants. Pain au chocolat. And even macarons... French breakfast, huh?"

"I hope you like it. It's the only bakery that I know."

I can't help but laugh, "I like it, thank you." I settle at the dining table and Zane sighs.

"Why don't you have bar stools? They would look good and give you more space."

"Great idea. But I got this place years ago when I was still relatively poor and didn't think I'd ever have more than four people over. Even so, they could sit on the couch."

He nods, settling beside me. He takes a sip from his coffee and watches me eat.

"You're not-"

"I already had breakfast."

"Why do I feel like you're lying?" I squint my eyes at him.

"Because you're a very smart woman."

"So I'm right? You didn't eat? Zane, you have to eat. Especially breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day. Unless you get nauseous in the morning. My dad gets nauseous so I don't bother him with my-"

Zane leans forward and takes a bite from my croissant, slightly startling me. "Better?" He questions and I nod, "Much better, here," I hand the croissant to him and take another one from the bag and hand that to him as well.

I continue to eat and smile a little when I realize this is the second time that I'm giving him food.

"I have to ask you something." I let out, his eyes meet mine and he looks at me questioningly.

"How do you just walk in and out of my house whenever you want to? Do you have a key?"

He smirks, "I do have a key, princess. One of your keys. But today was the last time that I used it, okay?" He takes the purple key out of his pocket and hands it to me. "Alex will be with you from now on. Some others too but you won't notice them. Alex will be the one you can talk to when you need to."