Jack stared at me in disbelief. “You made me cookies?”

I blushed. “You've been working really hard these days and we haven't seen each other in a while. I just thought that this might help you, even though all it would do is fill up your stomach.”

Jack closed the container lid. I felt disappointment that he didn't like the cookies. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to barge into his workplace and give him cookies. That's what I thought until two large arms wrapped around my shoulders, pulling me into a broad chest. Startled, I froze from the contact, then relaxed.

“Thank you for the cookies Sky.” Jack whispered in my ear, his breath warming the soft shell.

I patted his arm, smiling. So he did like the cookies. “I'm happy that you like them.” My nose was buried on his chest, so I took in a discreet sniff of his scent and reveled in the comforting, delicious smell.

Jack stopped hugging me, but that did not mean he let me go. He wrapped one arm around my shoulders as he opened up the container with the other and took a bite of the cookie. He made a humming sound of pleasure as he chewed. Leaning down, he kissed my cheek, grinning as he chewed. “Amazing.”

I smiled back as I leaned on his chest, perfectly content where I am.

I have no idea how long we sat here, but it felt like forever. The door opened and in came a very tall and thin man. “Hey Jack, can you look at these doc-” The man stopped and stared at the two of us on the couch, Jack lazily munching on cookies with his head on my lap, while I sat there and played with his hair. “Uhhh... is this a bad time?”

Jack sighed and got up reluctantly, causing me to smile in amusement. “Not at all Rick. So what is it that you want?”

Rick, with his perfectly slicked black hair, hawkish nose, and lanky physique features made me think of a tall, willowy tree. He wasn't attractive nor was he repulsive, so he's in between. Decent or technically normal in a sense. His black suit did not help him enhance his appearance, but it did suit him to some extent. He raised an eyebrow and smirked at Jack. “Who's your friend?”

Jack glared at him. “He's none of your business. Now tell me what it is you need from me.”

Rick slipped his hands into his pocket, a folder held between his arm and body. He casually laid back on the wall next to the door. “No need to get all offensive. But I guess he must be important to you to get all protective instantly.”

I watched the two battle it out, with Jack getting more and more frustrated by the minute. Clearly, he did not like Rick, but I wonder why that is? Did something happen in the past with these two? I want to ask, but I don't want to stick my nose in other people's business when I have my own secrets I don't want anyone to know.

The lady that sat by the desk next to the elevator popped her head into the room. “Mr. Kellens, I need you to confirm some documents on the Schneider project you're working on.”

Jack blew a frustrated breath. “Alright.” When the lady left, Jack gave Rick a pointed look. “Don't do anything to Sky or else.” His eyes landed on me next, softening. “If you need anything, call for me. And if Rick does anything, tell me.”

I gave him a reassuring smile. “I'll be fine. Go.”

Jack glared at Rick for a few more seconds before he left, the door closing with a soft click.

The silence in the office was thick, the awkward air almost tangible enough to touch with my bare hands. I played with my fingers, not knowing what to do to ease the awkward air that surrounds this room.