Chapter 10: Escape

Start from the beginning

His horror grew as he read further about potential side-effects. He scribbled down some notes on a piece of paper. If Dream would develop any listed symptoms, were yet to discover. Still, it worried him. His worry must've reflected on his face as the guy with bandana kept observing him.

"What's wrong." George eyes met the other's. He didn't wear the black face mask and sunglasses anymore, figuring that Schlatt kind of threw anonymity out the window. The guy, who he by now knew was called Sapnap, had dark hair and equally dark brows and eyelashes. His eyes shone with anger, but George felt like he wasn't the target.

"Nothing." George replied. Sapnap quirked an eyebrow as he stared at George with disbelief.

"Nothing?"

George sighed. His head swirled with questions.

"How could you agree to do this?" George finally dared to ask. Sapnap glared at him for a moment before he broke the eye contact and let his head rest in his palms.

"It's a long story. Me and Dream got involved with the wrong type of people. Or, I got involved with the wrong people, but Dream refused to leave me alone. We were young and dumb. Believing that if we did Schlatt one favor, he would let us go." Sapnap confessed, clearly blaming himself.

George softened his demeanor slightly. Neither Dream nor Sapnap could be much older than him. It was difficult to imagine how two so young people could've ended up in this mess.

"We both objected when we were told to kidnap you. Our targets are usually criminals and kidnapping's rarely something Schlatt commands us to do. But he offered us a clean slate, a way out of this hell. I guess our selfish instincts took over the decision making." Sapnap admitted with a low voice.

George was baffled by the honesty. Call him gullible, but Sapnap sounded so sincere. He glanced at Dream who slowly was waking up. Maybe all of Dream's kindness had been a way to trick him, and it sure had worked. But something urged George not to leave Dream to his inevitable fate. He needed to get to his dad.

George gaze fell on Sapnap who seemed to be in deep thoughts. "How much are you willing to sacrifice for Dream?" Sapnap's dark eyes met his and George already knew the answer before Sapnap answered. "Everything. I'd give up my life if it meant I could save Dream."

George nodded at the response and glanced at the scribbles on the paper. "Do you think it would be possible to get us all out of here?" Sapnap hesitated, so George continued.

"Just basing it of the rapport, it's highly likely that Dream will develop some rather dangerous characteristics." Sapnap furrowed his brows and let his gaze fall around the room.

"Dangerous in what way?"

George hesitated and once again looked down at the paper. "Previous study used people who had a calm nature with little to no connection to violence. The reason being that the side-effects often resulted in episodes that could best be described as mania sprinkled with certain features that would land a person on the ASPD spectrum." Sapnap just glared in confusion. George rolled his eyes.

"Fine. You, Dream. Hitmen. Meaning most likely lots of violence." George paused to study Sapnap's reaction. The ravenette squinted his eyes and nodded slowly.

"Manic episodes were Dream, a hitman, wouldn't feel empathy. How does that sound?" Sapnap seemed to connect the dots. "Oh"

"Yeah, 'Oh'" George imitated.

Sapnap got up from his chair and crunched down next to Dream. "Is there a cure? I mean, you don't really appear to be that violent. Maybe Dream wouldn't be either?" Sapnap said, trying to sound optimistic. George saw how Sapnap tried to grasp for any strand of hope. George lowered his head. Sure, there was a slim chance that Dream wouldn't turn out as previous subjects. But it was safer to assume the worst.

George knew that it was manipulative to use a desperate person's feelings to get what he wanted. However, Sapnap's connection to Dream was obvious and George figured that the most promising way to find a solution was for the three of them to get out of there. George needed to be able to contact Wilbur somehow. His brother had a much closer relationship with their dad. Because in the end, it was one person that was the reason behind this mess, his dad. But he was also the person who had the highest chance to figure out a solution.

"Sapnap, listen to me. We need to get out of here. Our best chance to find a cure is to get ahold of my dad."

The ravenette still didn't look fully convinced. "George..." He was surprised that Sapnap's used of his name. It somehow made the situation feel even more serious than before.

"... You realize that IF we escape, Schlatt will search every corner of the Earth to get you two back. We'll be refugees for the rest of our lives."

George kept chewing on his cheek. Of course he knew that. Schlatt was a maniac. Yet, it seemed like the most promising option. Neither George nor Dream would probably get out of here alive. To escape on his own and leave the others behind would've been George's first choice if the success rate wasn't so low. His eyes were drawn to Dream as the blonde mumble something incoherent. George would be lying if he was to claim that the potential side-effects didn't scare him. Dream needed help, both for his own and everyone else's sake.

A rabies-infected animal is already dead.

It was a harsh and inhumane way of viewing it, but there was some truth to it. Knowing Dream's occupation combined with the gene mutation wasn't reassuring at all.

George ran a hand through his hair. "I'm aware. Still, I'm convinced that it's our best chance to survive."

A long silence fell. Sapnap appeared to be weighing the options. George rose up and slowly made his way over to Dream and sat down. Blonde hair covered most of his face, so George pushed it away to get a better look. He saw a wrinkle between the dark blonde brows. Something was clearly troubling his cellmate despite the sedative. George lowered his gaze and saw how Dream's nails were digging into his palm. He took the blonde's hands in his own to loosen the grip of the fingers. The reaction from the physical contact was instantly: Dream's hands relaxed, shoulders fell down and the furrowed brows return to a relaxed state.

George was surprised at the reaction but kept searching for other noticeable signs of distress. Sapnap interrupted just as George was about to place two fingers on the side of Dream's neck to check the pulse.

"Okay. I'm onboard with the plan. I can get us out."

George sighed in relief and gave Sapnap an appreciative nod. A hand suddenly grabbed George wrist and as George attention was directed back to Dream again, he saw a pair of wide green eyes staring at him.

"George?" Dream's voice was quiet and hoarse. George held the intensive eye contact.

"Yeah" Dream's grip loosened slightly, and his eyes closed at the conformation.

George took notice that Dream's chained hand still grasped his wrist, making him unable to move. So, he resorted back to checking Dream's pulse, which seemed normal.

"How quick can you get us out?" George asked as he faced Sapnap. The ravenette's eyes traveled down to Dream's hold of George's wrist before looking back at George again.

"I'd say tonight. Dream needs to wake up for this to work. So, I'm guessing that he'll be back on track in a few hours, considering the amount of ketamine he was given."

George wanted to laugh. Sapnap was so casual when talking about drugging someone. That's when it hit him that these two guys, no matter their sad backstory, were bad people. He suddenly felt a strong need to retrack his hand, but Dream wouldn't let him.

"Fine. Tonight it is then." George confirmed.