EIGHT [ In the world of hope ]

"Oh you're home, are you hungry?"

Hearing the familiar concerned tone from Mia Chen, I shook my head and negatively responded before going to the kitchen to wash my hands after throwing the trash. 

The male lead would appear at different places at different times but I finally found his usual route after several visits to the trash can.

The lid continues to show off with bubbles from the mushroom stew with the braised fish looking all plumpy on the side along with the stir fried vegetables. The whole house smells of oil and fish, clinging into the broken matted pieces of the walls.

"Dove, you know, if you still couldn't remember much and have a hard time because of school you can always take drop out this year and retake it the next year"

"No I can manage" let alone rest for another year for the next school year, l just wanted to study again.

Because of the limited funds and with my mother's health beginning to decline, I made the decision to quit studying and pursue jobs that doesn't need much of a graduate certificate.

Turns out those jobs could only feed us for a day.

"Are you sure?"

Mia Chen looked at her daughter, she has become fairer after not being exposed to the sun for these few weeks. Even though she wanted her daughter to rest but their financial crisis begins to creep up on her. Especially after paying the bills in the hospital, the food and accommodation was simply enough for her to be swimming in debt. 

She cannot afford to have her daughter rest and it hurts her heart.

"Very much" I look at her dead in the eye, pursed lips and determined will.

Hearing her sigh, I also felt uncomfortable. I do understand why she was like this but I truly wanted to learn, it could be my second chance to learn and I won't let this chance get away.

"I'll help with the housework and I can also work part-time"

"No" feeling surprised at Mia Chen's refusal, I asked for the reason. "You're still a student and you're just 15"

Yes, this body is still at the ripe age of 15. I was at a loss for a second and Mia Chen seems to have panicked.

"It's not that I didn't want you to work... no, you can just study with a peace of mind. You're in your last year of middle school and will be in High school next year"

My head seems to be touched with fire when I felt her calloused hand rubbed the top of my head; ignoring the urge to flee from her embrace I can only stiffly stood there.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have worried you over adult problems" she said in a apologetic tone while putting my head softly.

"It's fine... Ma"

Mia Chen repressed the sour feelings that was about to come out in the form of tears and just patted her child's head once more. Leaving the warm embrace of her daughter, she took out all of the utensils and plates from her daughter's hand and watched her head lowered with cheeks full.

This was the first time Dove called her mother after leaving the hospital and even though she felt saddened, she never forces her daughter to call her mother.

Today marks the first but it will never be cut off in the future. A mother is a mother for life, after all.

As a mother, the only thing she wishes for her child is to be safe and happy. No matter the problems in life, the difficulties she might face in the end she will confront it with open arms.