。4 。

♡

DAKOTA PUSHED open her front door, locking it behind her. Her parents weren't home, she could tell by the lack of cars in the driveway and the sound of no shouting in the house. The girl placed her bag on the island, running a hand through her hair as she yawned, not having had a full nights sleep.

Picking up the TV remote, Dakota turned it on and took off her jacket, kicking off her shoes. Her eyes flickered towards the TV and, as she could've guessed, the hot-topic was the brutal death of Casey and Steve.

"The bodies of 17-year-old Casey Becker and her 18-year-old boyfriend, Steven Orth, were discovered late last night by the girl's parents."

Dakota sat down and flickered onto another channel, kicking her feet up on the settee. Gale Weathers popped up in Woodsboro Square, with a bright, lime green skirt suit on that made Dakota wonder how much attention Gale really wanted. A lot, by the looks of her outfit and confident manner.

"The town's in shock, and no one can quite believe what has happened here, although this is not the first time this small community of Woodsboro has endured such tragedy. Only a year ago, Maureen Prescott, wife and mother, was found raped and murdered not far from this peaceful town square."

Dakota rolled her eyes at the woman and clicked over to another channel, a sitcom that she couldn't care less about appearing on the square screen. Her mind flickered to Sidney and she wondered if she'd seen the news, specifically Gale Weathers' report on the murders.

She didn't find it fair that people still went on about Maureen Prescott's death, even when this, seemingly, had no link to the current ones. Sidney had had a rough time getting past it, she still was trying to, understandably. All while the family was trying to recover from the horrid actions towards the woman, the rumours of Maureen spread like wildfire across the town, Sidney trying to block them out as she mourned.

Dakota would never admit it to Sidney, but she had a feeling some of them were true. She wouldn't say anything because it would be insensitive and Sidney kept hope that her family was as she always remembered it: picture perfect.

Although that was far from the truth, she'd come to find.

The front door opened and Dakota leaned her head back onto the armrest, spotting her mum, Elizabeth, walking through the front door, frowning. The woman placed her purse on the island, next to Dakota's bag, and walked into the living room, giving a sad smile to her daughter.

"I'm sensing you heard." Dakota guessed, her mother nodding.

"Such a shame for the kids and their families." Elizabeth mumbled sadly, taking a seat across from Dakota. "And in such a horrible way."

"It was disgusting how they treated the body." Dakota agreed.

"It's those pesky horror films you like so much." Elizabeth tutted. "I'm hoping you won't end up like it."

"Why would I?" Dakota scoffed.

"Because you're always watching them. It's like you're drawn to them." Elizabeth hummed. "Like a moth to flame."

"They're interesting." Dakota shrugged.

"How is murder interesting?" Elizabeth inquired.

"Not the murder aspect but the way their mind works. What motives they had. Reasoning." Dakota shrugged.

"And what reasoning does Anthony Hopkins have?" Elizabeth raised her eyebrows.

"Hm... he doesn't have one, he's a nutter." Dakota shrugged. "Mind's still interesting, though. How he knows how other serial killers think. How he helped Clarice capture the other one, good ol' Buffalo Bill."

"Well, they're awful. And don't get me started on Halloween." Elizabeth scoffed loudly.

"Literally no one did." Dakota stated but her words went unheard, apparently.

"Why do they always have sex before, or even during, their death?" Elizabeth fumed.

"Because they're the rules of a horror movie." Dakota mumbled, having had many conversations with Randy on the subject. "And sex appeals most people, like boobs."

"Not us, though. That's one good thing about the ones you like. You rarely see any nudity." Elizabeth approved. "And it's always girls, too. I'm sure you don't even want to see that."

"Uh-huh." Dakota drowned her out, picking at her nails mindlessly before the phone rang.

Elizabeth moved to answer it, "Hello? Tatum, hi! How's everything at home? Good, good. And Stu, you two still going good-"

"Mum!" Dakota exclaimed, moving to take the phone.

"What? I was making conversation!" Elizabeth objected.

"Yes, but when you start, it's seems difficult for you to stop." Dakota chuckled and her mum waved her off, walking into the kitchen. "Hey, Tatum."

"Hey." Tatum giggled. "You still coming to Sidney's later?"

"Yeah, I am." Dakota hummed. "What video you getting?"

"I was thinking, Tom Cruise, All the Right Moves." Tatum answered. 

Dakota groaned dramatically, "I'll watch it, but no promises about me shutting up about how I don't like Tom Cruise."

"I don't get why." Tatum laughed.

"He's one of those celebrities I just don't like for no apparent reason. Him and Gwyneth Paltrow." Dakota grumbled, pushing some hair behind her ear.

"Well suck it up." Tatum ordered. "I'll enjoy seeing you in pain watching him pop up."

"Oh, I know you will." Dakota scoffed, Tatum laughing again. "I'll talk to you later. What time we going 'round?"

"7." Tatum replied. "Yeah, I'll see you later. Bye, bitch!"

"Bye, whore!" Dakota hung up and went to the kitchen to grab her bag.

"What did she have to say?" Elizabeth asked, sipping a hot coffee.

"Just reminding me we're going to Sidney's later for a movie." Dakota explained and saw her mum eyeing her wearily. "It's not a horror film, I think. I've never seen it."

"Who's in it?" Elizabeth questioned.

"Tom Cruise." Dakota responded.

"Oh, he's so handsome." Elizabeth gushed. "Ask Tatum if I can borrow it afterwards."

"Sure." Dakota smiled and went upstairs to unpack her bag.

{992}