⚡️ Chapter Two ⚡️

Start from the beginning

Armin and I look at each other, before looking at Eren. "Well, at least one of you are."

I walk over beside Eren and give him a gentle slap on his shoulder. "I don't mean to be rude, but I think Mikasa is the threat to them." I look back at her. "Thank you, by the way."

She nods, hiding her face in Eren's old scarf. "You're welcome..."

"Come on, Y/n. Do you seriously have to break me down like that?" Eren asks, slumping his shoulders a bit.

"I did say I didn't mean to be rude." I recall.

Armin nods. "Yeah. Y/n would never be mean on purpose, unless she absolutely had to be." He tries to stand up, but grunts in discomfort.

"Uh-" Eren walks over to him and offers him a hand to stand up. "Where'd they get you, Armin?"

I walk over in front of my brother. "I knew something was off when you said you were okay...why didn't you tell me what was wrong?"

He looks down. "It's alright. I'm okay now. I promise." He stands up on his own and leans against the wall. "See?"

"Alright then. Let's go sit by the water." I suggest, so we all walk to the steps that lead down into the nearby water.

"So, what happened this time?" Eren asks, once we had all taken a seat.

"Oh, they just heard us rattling on about how mankind's future lay beyond the walls." Armin answers.

I sat making a circle in the water with my foot. "With their walnut brains, as Armin put it, I doubt they even understood half of what we were saying, but still...that's what happened. We weren't even talking to them this time."

"Idiots!" Eren exclaims softly and throws a rock into the water, splashing very tiny droplets onto my skin. "Why's it got to be like this? Why can't people just let us dream?"

"The walls are a powerful idea..." Armin starts, making me look back at him. "We've survived for a hundred years because of them. No one's keen on tempting fate."

I get up and walk over to him. "You're not saying you agree with that sentiment, right?"

Armin waves his hands out in front of him. "No. Of course not. I can see where they're coming from, though." He looks down. "It's human nature. When all's said and done, the government's policies are a reflection of our fear."

"Yeah?" Eren looks out into the water. "Maybe the rest of the herd is, but I say to hell with them!"

"Eren." Mikasa warns. "Someone's going to hear you...keep it down."

"Why would I care?!" Eren asks. "You'll rat me out either way!"

"What?" Armin asks, looking up at Eren.

"Hold on." I climb onto the wall and sit next to him. "So, your parents know that you want to join the Scouts now?"

He nods. "Basically. They're not too pleased about it either."

Armin sighs. "Yeah. Big shock."

Eren looks out into the water again. "It's sad. What most people here are willing to settle for in exchange for some fleeting sense of security, you know?"

"And make no mistake..." Armin starts.

"It absolutely is fleeting...the walls won't hold forever...it's only a matter of time, before they break in." I finish. "I've felt that way for many ye-"

Suddenly, a very large vibration in the ground throws the four of us from our spots we were sitting.

I sit up and hold my head, since it hit the ground pretty hard. What on earth could that have been? Could our nightmares be becoming reality?