Chapter~2

Nights at Bag End went one of two ways: a peaceful dinner prepared by Bilbo to which the pair would sit with full bellies near the fire until one of them grew too tired or which happened only rarely, was a night Fauna dedicated to working on salves, tonics, and sorting her herbs.

On nights like that Bilbo knew not to aspect the younger hobbit to appear at the table. Instead, he'd come to leave her meal at the edge of her desk giving him the excuse to keep her company as she snipped, crushed, and mixed away. During times like those at the very late hours of the night when Fauna has completely folded over her work, vibrating the desk with her exhausted snores, Bilbo makes sure to drape a blanket over her trembling shoulders. He assumed by the sight of the full basket of herbs and such items what kind of night it would be.

But tonight the hobbit did not have the luxury of falling asleep on the job. While in a room just tucked in the corner of the hall, Fauna sat hunched over desk prepared to spend the night finishing that midwife's order. She knew if she didn't get done now she might not have it in her to get done later.

There was no warning to the disturbance that threatened to meddle in their normalcy. Nothing to prepare the two for what would happen next as the ring of the doorbell, loud and clear to those inside. At the sound Fauna straightens up, very much surprised at the late and unusual visit. The younger hobbit meets her cousin at the door both sharing a confused expression.

"Well, go on and answer it already." Fauna motions Bilbo to the door, to which he did not seem pleased with. The two only grew more confused at the sight of a bald, tattooed, dwarf standing at the entrance.

"Dwalin, at your service." He greets the pair with a slight bow before inviting himself in.

"Bilbo Baggins, at yours."

Fauna takes a step back unsure of what is happening. There was no holding back her curious eyes especially when there was a dwarf right in front of her. She'd never met one before but she imagined they look just like their unexpected guest but just a bit more stout.

"Hello," she hesitated but smiled like one would greet their guest. "Are you a friend of Bilbo?"

"No." The dwarf so casually dumps his gear. "Which way, lassie? Is it down there?"

"I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean." Fauna said, still maintaining a sweetness to her voice, unaware of terror growing in Bilbo's eyes.

"Supper. He said there would be food and lots of it."

The muscular dwarf tosses his coat toward Bilbo, who barely managed to catch the heavy material.

"Oh, just down the hall—"

"No, what are you doing!" Bilbo scurries to stop Fauna from finishing that sentence but the dwarf by the name of Dwalin has already pushed past his panicking state. "What you said early, who mentioned the food?"

Bilbo passes the coat over to Fauna as he follows Dwalin into the dinning room. When the doorbell rings again Fauna herself can't help but feel alarmed.

"I'll get the door!" She announces before finding yet another dwarf at their doorstep. She noticed this dwarf was far older and much wider than the first.

"Oh my, I wasn't expecting a woman...Nonetheless. Balin, at your service."

She grins motioning for him to step inside."Nor was I expecting another dwarf at the door."

"Another? Am I late?"

"Well, I guess it depends on what you could possibly be late for, seeing as I have no idea on what is happening." She said honestly, curious as to Bag Ends sudden popularity tonight.