Part 7

Niall had been driving for over half an hour when he finally veered off the main road onto a small one-way street. It was heavily shaded with large trees on either side and you realized that this wasn’t a side road, but a driveway. It was curved and over a mile long so you couldn’t see the very end of it and your craned your neck to try and look further. Eventually Niall pulled up to what looked like a castle with a circular driveway. It was a large stone house that had huge gardens and two story pillars at the front. It was easily twice the size of Niall’s and you wondered what you were doing at a place like this.

You looked around and saw that Niall’s car matched perfectly with the several others in the driveway. There was a Maserati, a Mercedes, a Porsche and some other foreign cars you didn’t recognize. He parked the car and you reached for the door, but Niall beat you to it and pressed the lock. ‘Alright, let’s get a few things straight,’ he said turning to you. ‘You stay here,’ ‘But—’ ‘HERE.’ Niall had a look in his eye that let you know he was serious about this. ‘How long am I gonna be sitting here?’ you asked a little disappointed. ‘I don’t know maybe 5 minutes maybe an hour. Just promise you’ll stay in here okay?’ ‘Okay I promise to stay in here IF you tell me what you’re doing in there,’ you said crossing your arms. Niall looked at you. He seemed nervous and he stuttered as he began to explain. ‘I just need to give my friend something okay I’ll be quick.’ You furrowed your brow. ‘Which friend lives in a house like this? And what do you need to give them. Is it in this bag?’ you said reaching in the backseat. He snatched the bag from you, ‘Actually it’s none of your fucking business. You don’t know this friend. Plus you’re the one who wanted to come in the first place, I told you what you’d be doing. Sitting in the car. And that’s what you’re gonna be doing.’ Niall slid out of the car and slammed the door behind him, making sure to hit the lock. He walked swiftly up the white marble steps to the two-story front doors. He threw his backpack over his shoulder and rang the bell, fidgeting as he waited for someone to answer.

The doors opened and you peered through the car window trying to see who it was that he was here to see. To your surprise, it was a girl who answered the door. She had long, red hair, but that’s all you were able to see as the door closed quickly behind them. You were kind of annoyed and you didn’t know why you thought Niall would’ve actually let you come in with him. Your mind wandered and you thought of all the possible things he could be doing in there. Was it an illegal sex ring? Maybe they were dog fighting. Or maybe he was in a gang. 10 minutes passed, and then 15 and you began to get bored. You were playing a game on your phone when you heard a car door slam. You sat up and looked around as you saw a person walk past your car. You sank down in your seat but they seemed not to notice that you were in there. The person looked familiar and you recognized him as Taylor, Niall’s friend from the rugby team. ‘Who’s fucking house is this?!’ you asked yourself. And what were they doing in this huge mansion that you weren’t allowed to see? Taylor took the same path as Niall and he waited nervously at the door. The same red haired woman let him in and you sat back for another 15 minutes until your curiosity got the best of you. You took a deep breath and got out of the car, determined to figure out what was going on. Besides, what’s the worst that could happen?

As you walked up the steps to the house you started to second guess yourself. Should you just go back to the car? You figured it was too late now as you pressed the doorbell, sending a chime throughout the house. Moments later one of the two large wooden doors opened, and you were met with the woman with the red hair. She wore a tight gold mini dress and towered over you in tall shimmery heels. Her green eyes sparkled in contrast to her deep red hair which was pin straight and flowed all the way down her back. She didn’t look more than thirty, but the heavy make-up she wore aged her. ‘Kto vy zdesʹ, chtoby posmotret?’ She asked. ‘Wh-what?’ She spoke fast and it took you a minute to realize that her words came out in Russian. ‘YA skazal, kto ty zdesʹ, chtoby posmotret?’ It’s moments like these that made you realize you were in too deep. ‘S-sorry,’ you said nervously, ‘I don’t speak Russian.’ She stood up straight and looked down at you. ‘I said who are you here to see?’ Her accent was heavy and you struggled to understand. ‘Um, I..Actually I’m here with someone.’ She shifted her weight from her left foot to the right. ‘Who?’ ‘Well—’ ‘Veronika! Kto v dver?!’ You heard a man’s voice yell from somewhere inside the house. ‘Well who are you here with?’ she prodded, this time less calmly. ‘I’m here with Niall’ you blurted out. Veronika opened the door a little more and answered the man. ‘Devushka! Ona govorit, chto zdesʹs Niall!’ This was really starting to freak you out. You had no idea what they were saying but it was obvious they were talking about you. The man yelled something else and Veronika rolled her eyes. ‘Oh right, he said he might bring a girl. Come in.’