Chapter 70: Setup

Media source: https://pin.it/7faYfXp

The morning after...

"W-why are you here?" The Duchess got tired of picking at her food and looked at the man beside her.

The Duke's chopsticks reached for food and put them all in her bowl.

As there was a mountain of food there already, she got annoyed. "Stop! What are you doing?"

Li Yun laughed. "I miss it when you glare at me." Then he popped a dumpling in his mouth.

Rouli was caught off-guard and went redder than tomatoes. But she exhaled and went back to eating. She chose to ignore this insufferable man.

After using their meal, she left to change clothes and prepare to go about her duties for the day.

Much to her surprise, the Duke was waiting for her in outdoor clothes.

Seeing her puzzled, he explained. "I have time today so I can accompany you. I haven't seen the territory in a while."

"And Qiaoqiao?" She asked.

"She has different matters to attend to but we can eat dinner together at Safron Willow's."

It was a restaurant under Rouli's name.

Since she really couldn't tell him not to come, she just gave a hum in reply and they departed.

"Today's schedule is to attend an academy event in the morning, an award ceremony for public officials near noon, lunch with businessmen for potential investments in the territory and lastly, enjoy flowers and butterfly viewing in the Huang orphanage in the afternoon."

The duchess' head lady-in-waiting, Fanxi, enumerated their itinerary.

Rouli threw a glance at the Duke before stepping into the carriage.

"I won't complain." He reassured her.

The Duchess frowned. "No. I'm thinking of the sudden increase in security that we need because you're he-"

"What do you mean?"

She blanked at the question.

Li Yun saw her confused face. "You bring only a few men when you go out?"

Rouli was taken aback. Why did he look mad now?

"I bring just enough."

It was the Duke's turn to frown.

"You shouldn't be lax about security. You know our family's current standing. We can't afford another..." He trailed off and tried to unclench his fists.

The carriage drowned in silence.

"You don't have to think. I don't lack consideration about those things. I did everything alone up until now." Rouli was stoic.

Li Yun sighed. She was right.

As Rouli was brooding, she felt a light hand on her hair. She tried to turn but another hand stopped her chin.

"I'm fixing your hair." His warm breath fanned over her ear.

She felt the buyao being moved with deft hands. It must have loosened because of her harsh movements when she was agitated.

>步摇 - buyao - literally means step-shake. A hairpin that dangles/shakes when you walk or move<

Rouli forgot that he also knew how to do this. His mother made him fix Qiaoqiao's hair before and the young Li Yun would use her (Rouli) as his practice canvas. He started with carelessly pulling her hair so she would beat him up.