CHAPTER 15 - Of a Trip to the Market

Start from the beginning

"Should we... grab something to eat in the dinner hall? Are you hungry?" Ralph asked, looking down at the petite, golden-haired girl who reached halfway up to his shoulder, rendering him unable to see her face.

"Mhmm," she said, absent-mindedly.

Feasibly it was for the best that he didn't see her face for the black scar on her cheek might not hurt her anymore, but it was painful to look at. Neo had inflicted that on her with a long nail of his thumb and he realized Amelia must not be faring well. All the memories of that wretched day came flooding back to him... how Orella had rescued Amelia from an underwater dungeon and brought her to... him.

Orella had trusted him, of all people, to take care of Amelia.

Wordlessly, they walked side by side, as she swirled with clear precision from every corner, winding staircases, glowing chandeliers, floral decorations, past stationed soldiers of every Realm-through the nooks and crannies of the heavily-guarded palace, for this was where the High King resided, who seldom left his chambers. Ralph had to drag Nova out of his hiding hole sooner than later, for the coronation was a mere week away.

The awkwardness was surprisingly different from the one Ralph had felt tons of times with people around. This was something to get rid of. When they stepped off the last step, she turned left, indicating where the dinner hall was. But Ralph halted, leisurely putting his hands inside his overcoat's pockets.

"Hey kiddo," he called, "I heard the Autumn Realm has some really good markets. Want to go explore the island?"

A loud gasp. Violent turn of feet. Swoosh of the braids. Eyes wide in disbelief.

"No?" he shrugged, nonchalant, "Fine. Let's just eat here, then."

If she grinned any wider, she might just bruise her cheeks, but then the delight turned into dread.

"Eleni says not to go outside, since people are..." she trailed off. "And she is right, of course. When she says not to go anywhere, she is always right. Always. But I..."

In the moment, Ralph hated the fact that both the girls had such morbid fear, had been given that fear.

He scratched a thumb over his brow, "If you want me to change my mind, then it's working."

As expected, Amelia shook her head in rapid motions, "No. No. Let's go, please. And never ever ever come back."

She walked past him in long strides, gesturing him to follow her.

Poetic and dramatic.

***

The ornate carriage winded its way through busy, cheerful streets. The sun had met the horizon a while ago, casting a lavender glow all around. Loud clatter of locals buzzed with the echoing of drums, lutes, fiddles, and rhythmic thumping of footsteps stemmed from a distance. Banners swayed overhead with insignia of their House. The celebration of their Defensor ascending as the Autumn Queen was clearly long lasting. The festive vibe was tantalizing.

The girl by his side looked out the window with such stars in her eyes that even the stench of seafood mingled with the flowery coastal vines was bearable. Even the fact that his own Realm had given him nothing but curses instead of a fete... was bearable.

When the carriage stopped, Amelia hopped down like a rabbit, even before the coachman gave her a helping hand. Once down, she asked, "No guards?"

Climbing down after her, Ralph looked around. Before departing from the palace, he had stumbled on Doran's trusted soldier. Without him even asking for help, Dylan had enthusiastically arranged for guards to accompany him and Amelia. Ralph had patted his shoulder, wanting to ask him how the council session had turned out the previous day-since his sister was otherwise occupied-but he stopped himself not wanting to subdue his good temperament.