Chapter 3

Flame:

                As I felt the wind whip at my face as I soared through the air, the tears began to fall. I followed Kinsley’s instructions, flying 2 miles away from her property, keeping track of the distance in my head. She was dead, the only family I had ever had, and she was dead.

The though mad me cry out and lose control of my zero gravity, the bark from a tree splintering my back as I did.

                Soon my uncontrolled flying eventually lead me to a face full of ground. This is what I get for flying recklessly. I wondered if people who could fly should have flying police. That thought would have made Kinsley laugh and I gripped the sides of my face as an agonized cry erupted from my all ready burning throat.  

I let go of the bags and pulled myself to the foot of a tree. My teeth clenched with the thought of Kinsley’s lifeless body, probably abandoned on the floor in her house.

                I took my hands off of my face and looked at them. After a few seconds of intense focusing, the flickering orange began to form over my skin. Don and Kinsley had said I was destined to save the human race, but I didn’t know what they meant by that.My hand rolled up into a fist.

If Kinsley thought that I could, then I could.

                An ear splitting sound smashed into my sensitive ears, causing me to cry out. I snapped my head up and my eyes zeroed in on a red and black puss forming over the trees, in the direction I had come from. No they couldn’t have… I was up on my feet running at top speed toward the explosion, and then I realized I could fly. I jumped up with a little more anger and power than necessary, but it gave me the adrenalin rush I need to sore back to Kinsley’s house.

                The darkness surrounding em didn’t stop my sensitive eyes from scanning the area. The men were still there so I quickly swooped up to a tree and peaked over one of the branched. Kinsley’s house was no more, only a pile of burning ashes stood in its place.

Don and the other armed men stood near, watching the blaze. My body grew tense and I could feel the fire start to appear around my skin, but I took a deep breath. Kinsley wanted me to stay hidden and I would obey her dying wish.  Don’s sharp voice caught my attention.

                “Search the surrounding areas. He couldn’t have gotten far.” The man standing closest nodded and gestured to a group who took off into the dark woods. Don started pacing back and forth. The men, who I take it was the leader, watched him.

“You hired us to find this creation and we will follow out orders.” Don whipped around, his expression tense and intimidation. “Flame was my life’s work, and now because of that-“ He gestured to the fire, at a loss for words and my fist began to ball up.

“He is out there, avoiding his own destiny. The leader shifter his feet nervously. “Sir? I think if Flame really knew what he was made to do, he would still run away.” Don laughed and the sound gave me chills. “I couldn’t give a crap about what that kid thinks, as long as he does what I need him to.”

                I moved back into the shadows of the forest, and then began to fly back to the tree where I had dropped the bags. I flew silently, hopping that the men scouting the area wouldn’t hear the sudden rush of wind that would soar above their heads. I made it back to the bags and knelt next to them.

The gunmen were getting closer and I twisted my head to try and find the tree house Kinsley was talking about. With the bags still in my fist, I frantically ran. I kept my eyes up, looking for the dark shape of a house nestled into the think canopy.