The First True Friends

The next day, Uraraka was back in class. They recieved both guilty looks as well as stone cold ones, and, in the end, it was diffused by Aizawa. He gave a BS excuse about quirk evolution and not to bug her about it. This didn't really work, as she still remained isolated from the rest of the class. The message was clear: We don't trust you, you haven't told the truth to us.

Not like they deserved it.

Ochako didn't mind at first. To hell with the others, I'll still become a hero. However, over time, the loneliness caught up with her. It was subtle, at first. Minor thoughts that weren't directed at anyone, small, nervous glances... but then they started to become more obvious. A lack of sleep, paling complexion (even more than before), losing more weight, and an increasing... apprehension around Bakugo. He was using similar intimidation tactics against the brunette, but this time, Izuku wouldn't let her fall under his watch. He was increasingly facing his fears, but not, at the same time, hiding behind the mask of Ochako to do so. It was cathardic, but his own fear didn't help things.

A month after, Ochako had lunch by herself outside. It was barely enough to get her through the day. Besides losing weight to stress, her lack of a stable food source certainly didn't help things. Today's meal was a homemade rice pudding with a pinch of cinnamon for flavor. Not the healthiest, but the best they could afford. In an effort to figure out ways to save money, one of the most efficient was to change her diet. It wasn't the best solution, but it was one of many.

Right now, though, the quality of her food was the last thing on their minds. Izuku was pestering her as she ate.

C'mon. Just because they don't like you, doesn't mean others won't. You should try to talk with other people.

Glumly, the weeks of torment from Katsuki and isolation from the others, especially Asui, were taking their toll. She thought that she could have friends here. While her teacher had no value on them, she was more a social creature than either he or Izuku were... and it was showing. Who would want to talk with me? Class B has a rivalry with my class, that they've made clear. The others would avoid me because I'm in heroics...

Before Izuku could retort, a voice interrupted their argument, startling Ochako. "Are you alright?"

Looking up, she could see a girl with orange hair looking at her with concern. Not recognizing her, the brunette just... stared. It wasn't malicious, but she was deep in conversation with Izuku, and didn't want to sound crazy.

Who is she? Why is she here? What does she want with me?

I don't know, you could just... ask?

But... I don't want to drive more people away... what if... she's only here because Bakugo sent her?

Okay, I have to stop you there. Katsuki does his own dirty work. Always has. This isn't his style. 

However, the redhead became even more concerned by the expression on the girl's face. She looked dazed, scared, confused. And none of those were good signs. If UA was not helping her, she definitely would. Repeating the question, she asked, "Are you okay?"

Well?! Don't just look dazed!

Sorry!

Ochako meekly replied, looking down. "I'm fine..."

The other girl shook her head. "It doesn't look like it to me." Then noticed her lunch... or rather... how pathetically basic and small it was. "Is... Is that all you have to eat?" The brunette was confused, so the girl continued, pointing to her lunch. "Do you only have rice pudding?"