1: In Which She's Blindsided

Start from the beginning

There was a knock at the door and Grace’s high-pitched voice came in. “Amor? I know you’re in here. Someone saw you,” she called, no doubt wondering if she should add ‘with a man’. “We’re about to cut the cake.”

“Great. My sister.” I shook my head, so close to hyperventilating. Ash seemed to sense this.

“Look, I’m good at what I do, okay? By the time the night is over, everyone will think you’ve fallen in love with someone else,” he said calmly, loosing his tie. “And call me Ashton.”

“Okay,” I squeaked.

“Now come here.”

I reluctantly obeyed him. “What are you –”

“Giving your sister a show,” Ashton interjected, unbuttoning the first two buttons of my blouse. “I take my job very seriously.” His fingertips lightly brushed the skin of my collarbone.

Despite myself, I felt a blush creep up my neck. “It’s not necessary.”

“It is to me.”

Unlocking the door, he pulled it open. I braced myself for Grace’s critical eyes. She didn’t disappoint.

“I thought Vic was in here.” She threw Ashton a disapproving look.

“Didn’t I tell you? Vic and I...we’re over,” I told her, relishing in her shocked face. Grace didn’t believe in splitting up; she and Milton had been together since the day he’d loaned her his special fountain pen for their finals in elementary school.

“Ashton West.” Ashton stuck a hand out to clasp my sister’s. “Pleased to meet you.”

“Um...right. I...I’ll just... Is that a scorpion?” Grace’s eyes were as wide as saucers.

“Correct. You have very good vision,” Ashton replied. He turned to me. “Babe, your buttons are undone.”

My hand flew to my chest. “Right. Thanks. Shall we...? Grace, the cake?”

She shook her head, as if trying to shake away the image of my peeking lace bra. “Of course.” She bounded away.

I shot Ashton a glare. “Way to go. Babe? No one will believe this.”

“I’m great at long-term. In fact, I’m the best,” he said simply, his arm slinking around my waist. “You just need to chill and remember the story of how we fell in love.”

“Oh, this’ll be good. Do tell me how we fell in love.”

His hand ran down my hipbone. “I’m your new lawyer. It was love at first consultation.”

I snorted. “You? A lawyer?”