it fluttered its wings as it moved.

James watched everything.

And his heart fluttered like it's wings.

she finally looked up at him.

Her blue eyes meeting his own, their small innocent smiles matching each other — openly admiring each other.

Petunia could tell he had another question.

But he didn't want to ask it.

"It's okay."

He still looked reluctant.

But as the look of reassurance crossed her face, nodding for him to continue — he almost frowned.

James cleared his throat.

"What happened?" he started his question, though, as he realized the lack of detail, he rephrased. "Besides the fight with you and Lily.. the cause of fight between you two — I- how did they treat you?"

Petunia was expecting this question.

But that didn't mean she had an answer.

though, she tried to respond.

With her mouth opening, her brows furrowing in response, Petunia decided to start where it all began. "It started on our birthday, when Lily received the letter."

      The two had found a nearby rock as Petunia started her story. And as it was big enough for the both of them, the two sat down, their bodies lightly hitting each other.

she continued.

      "I was so excited for her that day. When they all went out to buy her books and such, I read absolutely every page with her — curious as to what spells and magic truly was," she sighed out, remembering the detail so clearly. "We had used these sticks we found in the backyard, practicing these spells as if we could cast them so clearly, obviously our imagination took part in that time," she almost smiled, but quickly frowned before it could even reach her face.

James noticed that detail.

     "That same day, in the middle of our time together in the backyard, my parents called me inside — insinuating that they had something important to tell me," She nodded along to her words, "At first, I was hoping that my letter got lost in the mail, that I was also a witch like my sister." Her frown deepened, "But I was wrong," she looked to him, seeing his eyes bore into her very own. Petunia paused as she thought about her next words, remembering how heartbroken she was at the news. "They told me I was no longer allowed to leave the house. Not for school, for my friends, for.... anyone." Her voice shook at the ending — but she kept the sadness away.

She would not be sad.

     "Lily ended up heading off into school, I was staying home — quarantined inside my small room," Petunia reluctantly continued, "I would watch my neighbors play out in the yard, watch them happily eat outside as a family—" she detailed, smiling for them, "Sometimes I would picture myself with them — having fun."

James shifted in his seat.

Petunia let out an awkward cough.

"Anywho—" she shook her head, "I would try writing letters... I still have the ones she did write back to me," her head cocked to the side, "I think there was five of them."

James gave her a bewildered look.

"For how long?"

"Five letters in three years," She more-so asked then stated, "But even when she came home... Lily never really talked to me, it kinda made me sad, to be honest," Petunia thoughtfully spoke, "But I got used to it.. eventually. Lily started to hangout with Severus and Mum and Dad had me do chores — hating the fact that I was staying home and doing nothing besides school," she grimaced in thought. "When they made me scrub the floors, sometimes I would miss a spot — and mum would come and dig the heal of her shoe in my hand," She awkwardly pushed out her hand, showing James the marks.

he didn't realize them before.

Petunia watched as he gently took her own into his hands, softly tracing his thumb over the indentions. He cringed at the thought of this happening.

The blonde continued as he did his actions.

"The Dursleys eventually moved in... where I met Vernon," the name was sour on her tongue, "He caught me sneaking out one night.." She saw James's confused face, "To Oliver, Henry, and Amber — where we did... y'know.." She shortly explained, "And Vernon and I got into a fight, he slapped me in the face—"

"-what?"

she nodded.

And James looked as if he could kill Vernon Dursley.

P.EVANS + J.POTTER