The bell rang and I hastily walked into my next class, heading over to the back of the classroom where there were a couple of spare chairs. 

I heard the teacher say my name, making me freeze in my tracks. "Miss Alyssa, care to explain why you're late?" 

I lifted my head and tried to ignore the stares I was getting. "Um-s-sorry sir, it won't happen again." 

"Make sure it doesn't, or next time it will be detention." he said sternly. "Now get to your seat." 

I rushed over to an empty chair and quickly sat down to avoid further embarrassment. I saw some girls out of the corner of my eye whispering and trying to discreetly point at me. My face burned and I looked down at my lap. The class started and I tried to pay attention to the droning teacher, even though I knew I couldn't. My mind replayed over and over about what happened in the hall with Victoria bullying me. Would I ever survive another couple of years? I wished I could just get rid of my horrible looks and actually become someone who could stand up to Victoria.  

My friends said I was pretty but not like the other cheerleaders. I wished I could have a complete makeover but I couldn't even afford normal clothes let alone a whole new look. Money was tight at home with a single mom who worked at a supermarket. I never got money - I had always earned it by working, but with constant studying so I could maybe get a scholarship, I knew I wouldn't have time to get an after school job.  

After the class ended, I walked slowly to my locker trying not to run into any enemies along the way. Thankfully nobody stopped me as I was walking down the busy halls, but I was still walking fast anyway. I put my books away in my locker and headed towards the exit to go home.  

The doors opened and I was greeted with a gust of cold air in my face, making me shudder. It was raining lightly and I dreaded walking home. 

The school was near the flat me and my mom lived in, so I wasn't too worried - but I wish that I had a car like most of the other students. Most of them had well off parents so I wasn't surprised that as soon as they all turned sixteen the car park started filling up with convertibles, BMW's, Mercedes and any other expensive car you could think of. 

I made my way through the car park, dodging through students and cars. I tried not to get too wet and I regretted not taking an umbrella. 

Walking away from the school, I noticed a black mustang convertible pull up beside me and I squinted into the tinted windows to see who it was. The window rolled down and I noticed it was Victoria's boyfriend - James. Homecoming king and queen every year, Victoria and James were the number one item at school and had been together for years. I personally didn't get why they were still together - they were always cheating on each other, but I suppose it was to do with the most popular guy and girl having to be together at school. I almost rolled my eyes when I saw it was him. Now they were starting to annoy me out of school too? 

He gave me a grin which caught me off guard as I was mentally preparing myself for another verbal bashing. I tried not to grimace.  

"Hey," he said casually. His blonde hair was swept across his forehead sexily and his dimples were in full display.  

I tried to gain my composure, not knowing why he was being so nice to me all of a suddenly. 

"H-hi." I stuttered, wishing I wasn't so socially challenged.  

One tanned hand was casually resting on the steering wheel and the other was draped on the outside of the car, even though it was freezing. 

"It looks pretty cold out there," he said with a sympathetic tone.