33. A New Neighbor

I began to wonder if it was a bluff, that the lottery would be rigged to send me to slaughter.

For some time, it didn't happen. Maybe it was a mind game. Give me hope that I had more time away from the arena and then shove me back in when I thought I was safe.

Death Eater or not, Ms. Cartwright was wicked.

Since I was on an upper level, I didn't get many visitors. Most voices travelled from below. I couldn't see the intake or outtake of prisoners. I didn't know how the numbers were currently fluctuating. I hoped Bree and Ember were still alive and together. While I knew Ember could handle the burden of the arena, the fact that Bree was so young...

If she had to go into the arena, being Imperiused would be a kindness for her.

When I get out of this...if...with all that I've been through, therapy doesn't sound like a bad idea. Fighting in a war so young, and now being imprisoned and forced to fight others to the death...I'm not even in my twenties yet. I've endured much more than a girl my age should. It's unthinkable.

I rested against the cell door, eyes fixated on no particular point. At times, my brain would feel numb. There were only so many thoughts to entertain myself with before they ran their course. This place was damp, dreary, and depressing. I hated to wonder if any prisoners here had attempted to find a way out on their own terms.

I'd been down that rabbit hole once, thanks to the trauma of the battle. And yet...the option didn't call for me. It would crop up in my thoughts but disappear just as quickly. I'd made a promise to Mum and Dad I would never go down that road again. I'd sooner get help.

My eyes picked up movement outside of my cell. I almost didn't care, except that there were two figures walking past instead of one. And one of them wore a dark green jumpsuit.

I was sure my eyes were deceiving me. I recognized the defiant face as it passed me by. Struggling to my feet, I scrambled to grasp my barred door. She was pushed into the cell next to mine. How could they have gotten her, after all this time? She didn't seem like the type to be taken off guard so easily.

I waited until her Death Eater escort disappeared before I crept to the corner of my barred door. I waited patiently, hoping that maybe she would speak first. All the while, I kept watch. Death Eaters monitored this floor like all others.

"H-Hermione?" I whispered tentatively.

"I thought it was you," she replied in the same quiet tone. "I didn't want to believe it."

"I thought the same when I saw you pass by. How did they get you?"

"Er, I'm not sure if I should say."

"Why?" If I could've slipped through the door, I would've. Although, it wasn't the nicest of surprises. Ron had to be furious by her disappearance.

"Well...The Aurors raided Malfoy Manor on the tips from Draco Malfoy himself."

My brows raised. I thought I'd never hear his name again. He was still in hiding...up until now it seemed. "What did they find?"

"Captives. They rescued as many as they could. Some were...were already gone by the time they searched the Manor. They managed to wrangle two Death Eaters and brought them into custody. Interrogation was getting no one anywhere. None of their plans seemed plausible, so...I threw myself into the mix."

I wasn't liking where Hermione's story was going. "Meaning?"

"Meaning, I gave them a very risky plan. I was to be bait—what Death Eater could resist capturing a Muggleborn like me, knowing what I've done?" Her chuckle was dry, almost lifeless. "Everyone was against it, especially Ron. I made sure they put a locator on me with a spell that they could follow. It's hidden in my hair, almost invisible to the naked eye. By now they'll know I've been taken, so it'll only be a matter of time before they come here."

"Hermione!" I exclaimed. "I can't believe you."

"I was tired of listening to their ill-fated plans. Yes, this is really risky, but they'll make quick work getting here."

"I hope so, for both our sakes." I looked down at the number tattooed onto my forearm. "Did the Death Eaters they arrest give anything away about this operation?"

"No, they were middle men. They kept watch of their captives until they were to be moved elsewhere."

I exhaled. I gave Hermione the quickest, quietest rundown that I could of what went on in this prison. She kept silent throughout my explanation.

"I was hoping to not see anyone that I knew here," I told her. "You volunteered to be bait for something you had no idea about. Are you prepared if you're chosen?"

"I want to believe this place will be raided by then."

I shook my head. "There's no guarantee. Hermione, this is serious. People die here. It's their sick way of eliminating half-bloods and Muggleborns without their hands getting dirty. It's a sick sport."

"So I've gathered. Do these floors have certain criteria?"

"I'm not sure. I was on a lower floor, crammed in with other girls and women. I only recently got moved up. Not much difference except there's less company and no roommates."

"How many times have they picked you, Jenelle?"

"More times than I'd like." Flashes of the dead came to mind. Nameless faces. "It's worse than having to fight at Hogwarts, Hermione. Much worse. They force our enemy to be each other, when really it's them. It's still them." Tears welled in my eyes. "Did...Was Neville found?"

"Yes, he was in pretty bad shape when they got to him. He's out of St. Mungo's and almost back to normal. He's terribly worried about you, though. He's been in a mad dash to find you, it's been driving the rest of us bonkers."

I wanted to cry in relief. My Patronus had come through. I hoped he was the first face I saw when they came crashing into here. "I owe that man my life. For all the flack I spewed out about how I didn't need his protection...I could've been here much longer if I didn't have him. Thank you, Hermione. I really needed to hear some good news."

"You're welcome. Has there been talk of escape plans?"

"No. There aren't enough of us skilled in wandless magic. Not to mention even if we escape, we're sure their numbers outweigh ours. No one's had the courage to start something."

"Not even you?"

"Oh, please, Hermione," I sighed, exasperated. "I'm not leader material. I don't do battle strategy."

"How come you're isolated, then?"

I bit my lip. Right. In my storytelling, I had left out a few details. "I caused some Death Eater drama." Then I rolled into the Liam-Brian debacle.

"You've certainly made waves," Hermione commented once I was done. "So, Brian isn't an ally in this?"

"No." So what if he had spared me from Liam's abuse? It didn't redeem the trauma he had inflicted. He had no intentions on helping me bust out of here, or help the others. "You're the only ally I've got now. I've made acquaintances with a few others in here, but since we're separated..."

"I understand."

No, Hermione, I really don't think you do. You don't understand the gravity of the situation. If any of you had any clue as to the full picture, you wouldn't have sent yourself into here as bait. You wouldn't have volunteered to be captured in the hopes that your bug wouldn't be discovered. All that and more I wanted to say to one of the most famous witches of our time.

But, this was not the time for sniping at her. We needed to hold together, just long enough. We needed to have each other's backs when possible. If the Aurors took their time or got led down a wrong path...

Hermione might be here longer than she anticipated.