19. Humiliated by a piece of bread.

Start from the beginning

       The chill wind ruffled my hair but I failed to feel the coldness against my skin.  Something was wrong with me.  I could feel it.  Something was not right for a few days. 

       It has been a couple of weeks since I escaped and since then I feel like I have been going through a downward spiral of grief through hate.  I felt numb most of the time but at exceptional periods, I just wanted to curl up on my bed and sleep, but then that would not come easily too.

        I sighed and thumped my head against the wall behind me and averted my eyes towards the opposite side of the room where Livya was sleeping on her bed.  Her boyfriend was miraculously absent for a couple of days and when I asked, Livya said that he was working on a project with a deadline. 

          I gazed back at the dark illuminated by the only street light and got startled at the sudden eyes gazing back at me from the shadows far away.  It was so different; one eye was glowing neon and the other with a pale blue.  I was immediately transported back to the night I was kidnapped. 

         That night I got attacked by a creature that had similar eyes if not the same colored eye.  I gulped and squeezed my eyes shut and opened them back up in a moment but the shadows cleared and the glow of the phantom eyes was not there.  I almost forgot that I witnessed a strange creature like that.  I couldn’t even pass it off as a figment of my imagination. 

        I was hallucinating, like adding salt to the fire was not enough, now I added a gallon of gasoline on top of that. 

        I don’t know what was happening, but I knew one thing.  My life was not the same as it was.  My mundane, orphaned life was being rewritten by some sick motherfucker.

……

         I decided that enough was enough and got ready with Livya to go to my job at the gym.  At least I could show my loyalty and hard work, by coming to the job a day or two earlier. 

           “Are you sure, you are going to be okay in there?”  Livya asked dropping me off at the gym in her shitty Nissan Versa which already looked like it was in a demolished condition.  

          “I will be fine,”  I said to her, reassuring myself in the process. 

         She hesitated.  “Um… You have not been the best these past few days and I am honestly worried about you.”
She said in a rush. 

         I gave her a smile that I was not feeling and squeezed her hand in comfort.

         “I know, but believe me; I need the change of scenery and to do something to keep my mind busy.”  And to stop thinking about two someone. 

          “Okay.”  She hugged me and let me go.

          I opened the car door and went and stood on the pavement, waving at her as she drove by. 

         Turning around I took a step towards the gym entrance, I ignored all the jittery feelings inside me and cleared my head. 

        “I have one job and I have to excel at it,”  I repeated the mantra in my head as I walked toward one of the changing rooms to deposit my change of clothes and water bottle in a little locker allotted for me before going to the main area.

        I saw the head trainer busy with some clients, so I started stretching on a yoga mat.  I needed to get myself into the headspace and start regaining all my knowledge when it came to physical training.

          When I was halfway through my routine I heard the head trainer call my name and I lifted my hand in a wave to acknowledge that I heard him.