14. Something's Wrong!

I woke up tangled with the sheets, but thankfully alone.  I stretched my neck and looked back at the window to see that the sky was gloomy and rain pelted the glass window softly. 

        An involuntarily smile tipped my mouth as I got up and opened the window to let the breeze in.  Taking in a lungful of breath, I reminisced about the nostalgic smell of the fresh mud but it was different with a touch of freshness and green.  It was the forest.  It made everything beautiful. 

        I inserted my hand in between the grill and waited for rain droplets to touch my palm before shaking it off.  The sky was bright under all the gloom so I guessed that it was a little late in the morning. 

        I got sad when I realized that I slept through most of the rain as I saw the sluggish mud on the ground and small puddles everywhere.  But then got even sadder when I knew I wouldn’t be able to go outside even if it rained. 

          Good mood vanishing, I turned to go to the restroom and did my daily morning routine.  Slapping my face with water I tried to forget what happened the day before. 

        I almost lost myself to the bodily pleasures he gave me but something in me snapped.  Telling me that this was wrong.  I shouldn’t have to give myself to someone who knows how to work my body but would never take care of how I felt.  Even if I enjoyed it, ultimately it was not my choice. 

         My eyes widened in the mirror and I ran back to my room with the toothbrush in my mouth and searched for the chair which was mysteriously missing.  I never forget to take the chair when I use the restroom but today I did, because it was not hanging in the handle this morning.

         I searched my room, under the bed –which had no space to hold the chair- searched in my bare closet.  It was simply not there. 

        I furiously walked back to the sink and spit the paste before washing my mouth.  How dare he?  I didn’t care at all that the chair didn’t give me a modicum of security against him and I didn’t care that the whole palace was his; he didn’t have to take the only thing that gave me small comfort.  I pulled up my tube top and strode towards the other side of the bathroom door.

         I wouldn’t even care if it was locked; I would just simply break it down until it gave me some satisfaction.  I used the bathroom handle and it surprisingly opened, it was not like I tried to open the door often, but whenever I tried it was always locked. 

       I ignored it and looked around the room for any clue as to where my chair went.  It was the first time I was here in his room and I was underwhelmed.  Because it looked basic and nothing like the man I have come to know from the time he spent with me, which was not very long.  The sheets on his king-size bed were dark with a huge headboard, just like mine, all the layout was exactly like my room minus the giant bookshelf.  Curious I walked towards it, my rage was all forgotten as I saw some mysterious covers. 

             Everything looked like it was from ancient history with thick coverings and huge bindings.  Most of the covers were just black with huge fonts on the front cover in a language I didn’t understand.  I screwed up my nose as I looked further down the shelves. 

          As I took a thin book from the last shelf, I noticed the difference in it from all the others.  While most of the books had grey and yellow pages and were in a very fragile condition, this book was a paperback with white sheets, untouched.

    It looked brand new.  And was in English. 

        Mesmerized, I saw the book cover.  There was a fusion of colors all over the page but in the middle of the page there was a painting of a man standing in the dark with his legs apart and his hands facing the ground, but the fascinating thing was his shadow was entirely different.

            It was a wolf with all its four legs on the ground but its head held high and its snout was in the air like it was howling.  I traced my fingers on the picture when I heard a squeak of the hinges from his closed closet door.