It was a classic troupe used by the Administrators.

"Let's go, now." Pointing to the door, he tossed the leftover pieces into the garbage.

I glanced over to Jake with hesitation, giving him a scowl that assured him I wouldn't say a word to Mr. Patry about who was really behind this.

"Don't make me come get you." Mr. Patry threatened, stepping out into the hallway first.

Unfortunately for me, it was a short walk to his office; just down the stairs and around the corner. He made sure to glance back at me every few feet, forcing me to keep pace with him. Not a word was said during the short trip, but the image alarmed everyone nearby as Mr. Patry made his way through them, not caring who was in our way or who was whispering.

We passed Ryan, who had his arms draped over the staircase railing, standing with a few others. Everyone stood straight when they saw Mr. Patry glance at them, their conversation turning into low whispers as he approached.

I made eye contact with Ryan, leaning to the side to say, "Go check the laundry."

He looked nervous, turning almost a complete white as he glanced up the staircase and watched as I turned the corner with Mr. Patry.

"Shut that door." Mr. Patry commanded, removing his blazer and draping it on the back of his chair.

I did as he said, quietly shutting it so I wouldn't draw in any unnecessary attention, before moving behind his guest seats. Standing straight, I tried to mentally check into autopilot; yes sir, no sir, I'm sorry. Anything that would make this as quick as possible.

"I was sure I put an end to your interest in smoke bombs during our last meeting," He eyed me, even thinking about it now made me remember that horrible soreness I felt for weeks. "where did you get this one?"

"From home." I quickly lied. "It was in the care package sent to me before school began."

He came around to the other side of his desk, resulting in me stepping back. "Look at my face Jasper," He pointed to that glare he wore so often. "I don't believe you. I personally searched that box and found no contraband."

I began to talk, but choked on my words. The Administrators never search through care packages themselves, they have designed staff for that, so I didn't expect that.

My eyes narrowed, "Why did you look through my..."

"Don't," he shook his head. "don't try to change the subject."

"Well I, I don't know what to tell you. It was there." I shrugged.

That resulted in a growl from him, "Firecrackers, smoke bombs, and any other flammable material are contraband. You know this." He took a step forward, putting his hands to his sides. "They are dangerous material, dangerous to the students and everyone else in the building, not to mention to the building itself."

I reflexively sighed, rolling my eyes in the process. What the hell is he waiting for? Quit stalling Mr. Patry, just give me my punishment and let me move on. Aside from the obvious mind-numbing aggravation that came from lectures, I hated being talked to like I was a child. It was the worst thing about this place, I'd even put it ahead of spankings because the lecture often prolongs that.

"What would have happened if you triggered the smoke detectors because a fire started?" Continuing, he was beginning to push my buttons.

"Jesus, I don't need a lecture." I shouted, the bitterness in my tone apparent, but I felt helpless in dissipating it.