𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙞𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

---

"I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND what's so special about her", maddy vents to me as we're laying on her bed, her head on my chest.

"i don't know maddy, i couldn't tell you", i say to her.

she lifts her head slightly from my chest to look at me, "you fucked her and don't know what's special about her?"

"as fucked up as it is, i was thinking of someone else while i was with her", i tell her which makes her visibly relax.

"i can't believe i didn't choose you from the start", she says to me.

"i told you i would wait for you maddy", i kiss the top of her head.

everything's silent for a while before she breaks the silence, "do you think it'll work between us if we go slow?"

"anything will work if we try hard enough on both sides", i reassure her.

she grabs my chin and plants a very passionate kiss on my lips. it's the first time we have kissed in months.

"i wanna tell you something but i don't feel like it's the right time", she tells me to which i nod in response.

"don't say it unless you're sure you really mean it", i peck her lips once more.

as you can tell, me and maddy have been extremely close since last night.

it's saturday which means there's no school. i left the house early this morning after having breakfast with my mom and nate.

something about the way my mom was acting kinda made me question whether she wanted my dad gone way before he actually left.

to me, she was way too happy for someone who basically got cheated on for years. if we're being honest, that wasn't even the worse part.

maddy called me right after i got finished eating which was perfect timing since i didn't want stay in that house.

when i dropped her off last night, she wouldn't stop crying. it took me hours to get her to actually calm down and when she did, i left but not before telling her i would be back the next day.

when i woke up this morning, i received multiple missed calls and texts from cassie with her effectively blaming me for what happened.

she thinks i told rue what happened which i didn't. soon those feelings of blame quickly turned into relief since she told me she doesn't have to hide it anymore.

i didn't bother to text back, i left all her text messages on read before blocking her number.

me and maddy spent the rest of that morning together until she told me she had to go babysit.

she invited me to go but i assured her that i would come by to visit her later tonight instead to spend the night.

on the drive back to my house, i took a minute to finally let the breath i was holding and think about the events that occurred this week.

from maddy's birthday to dad leaving and now rue's messy intervention, i could say this week was very fucked up.

as i'm pulling up towards my house, i see that nate's car is no longer in the driveway.

ignoring the fact that nate isn't home on the weekend when he has absolutely nothing to do, i decide to head up to my room and take a nap.

-

i woke up to the sound of my phone ringing constantly.

i didn't even look to see who was calling me before picking it up and pressing the answer button.

"hello?", i ask the person on the other end of the line.

"can you come over please, i really need you right now", maddy answers. she sounds like she's been crying.

"yeah of course, what happened?", i question her while getting my shoes on.

"nate, he-he came over a-and he had a g-gun", that answer alone wars enough to make me bolt out the door. i'll deal with nate later.

"i'm in the car now, should i stay on the phone?", i put my car in drive before speeding off towards maddy's house, not caring if i get a ticket.

she lets me know she wants me to stay on the phone with her while i drive so i do exactly that.

it takes me no less than 5 minutes to get there since i was speeding.

letting her know i'm outside, i hang up and knock on the door.

her mom opens with her eyebrows furrowed, "can i help you?"

"i-i'm actually here for maddy", i stutter, nervous to meet maddy's parents so soon.

"mamí, she's just a friend, let her in", faint tear stains cover maddy's face as she convinces her mom to let me in.

after a bit of banter back and forth and me awkwardly standing in the doorway, her mom finally agrees to let me in.

maddy grabs me by the hand and pulls me to her room, closing the door behind me.

she directs me to sit before she starts speaking ever so quietly, "he wanted the disc."

"so he threatens you with a fucking gun? what did you say?"

"i told him you had it, i thought he was gonna kill me", she tells me, fresh tears start to fall from her eyes.

i get up and wrap my arms around her, "it's not your fault, i'm gonna deal with this but for right now, i'm here with you."

"he made me think he was gonna kill himself in front of me", she sobs into my shirt.

"how did he even get in?", i ask her, still clutching on tightly to her like she's gonna slip away.

"i don't know, he was here when i got home", she starts to sob more aggressively.

i don't ask anymore questions for the rest of the night, i just hold her.

the rest of the night was filled with us watching stupid movies to cheer her up and me holding her until she fell asleep on my chest.

this time instead of leaving, i fall asleep right after her, making sure she's safe throughout the night.

---