𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚

---

SCHOOL the next day after the carnival was normal. i mean, normal until it wasn't anymore.

for starters, maddy came in with a hoodie, sunglasses and a turtleneck.

anyone who doesn't know what happened would probably think this is super unusual but to the ones who do know exactly why she's doing it.

like me for example. i was there, i stopped it, i know what happened. to other people, the most popular girl in school is dressed like she got dressed in the dark.

the first person i wanted to kill was nate but then i remember he's been through some shit in the past.

we all have though and it doesn't give him an excuse to do what he does and treat a woman how he does.

if it was up to me and i wasn't related to that piece of shit, i would've been kicked his ass. but since that's my brother and i know he's been through some shit, i'll give him a tiny pass.

if he ever does some shit like that again though, i will fuck him up.

first period passes slowly but surely and in no time i'm out of that class. when i walk out though, i notice something's different.

not only do i notice somethings different, it feels different.

that's when i see a stretcher being dragged through the hallways along with paramedics rushing to get to the scene.

i don't know what happened but whoever it is, i hope they're okay.

the rest of the day passes by fairly quickly, mostly because i was anxious the whole time. i was just waiting to get out to see someone that i know is going through a hard time.

i found out earlier today that the stretcher being dragged through the hallways was for maddy. apparently she had passed out from heat exhaustion, not eating and not sleeping for three days straight.

once i found out, i went off the rails. i almost left class and found nate myself.

but luckily for him, the police and administration beat me to it.

once the paramedics seen the bruising on maddy's neck, they called maddy up to the principal's when she was up and ready.

if you ask me, they should've done it on a different day and let maddy go home. that's just my opinion though.

they had called maddy's parents and everything. they even got nate and called our mom and dad.

long story short, nate got arrested after he claims he didn't do anything when i saw it with my own two eyes and maddy got sent to the police station for more questioning.

maddy had called me a few minutes ago asking if i could come get her from the station since she didn't want her parents to take her home.

so, that's where i'm going now. on the way to get maddy from whatever she went through today.

when i got there she was standing outside, waiting for me. she looked more than just upset. it looked like she had been bawling her eyes out for hours upon end.

she climbs into my car and set her hands in her lap, not taking her eyes off them the whole time i'm driving.

"maddy, talk to me please", i almost beg her as i park in some random ass parking lot.

"just take me home y/n", she whispers so lightly that i almost didn't hear her.

"you can't bottle this in for the rest of your life", i plead with her.

"i'll tell you later, just take me home", tears start to fall from her face.

"why did you want me to drive you home if you're not gonna tell me what's going on?"

she looks up at me, studying my face for a second before directing her focus to whatever's outside the window, "you make me feel comfortable and safe."

that being enough of an answer for me, i don't say anything back, i simply just nod my head and drive the car towards maddy's house.

she doesn't say anything when we get there, she just kisses my cheek and gets out of the car, going inside her house.

-

it's now a few days later from the incident and i get woken up by my phone ringing. i look at the name to see maddy's name flash on the screen.

i pick it up and answer it, "what's up mads?"

"did i wake you up?", her voice trembles from the other side of the line.

"not at all babe, what's going on?", i lie as my raspy voice makes it noticeable that i just woke up.

"can i come over?", she asks, it sounds like she's been crying.

"yeah of course, the doors unlocked and nate isn't here", i say just incase she starts to get uneasy about coming over.

"okay, i'll be there in ten", she sniffles before hanging up.

exactly ten minutes later, i hear a soft knock on my bedroom door. knowing that it's maddy, i tell her to come in.

when she comes in, i immediately sit up once i notice her tear stained cheeks.

"what happened?", i ask her, patting the space next to me so she can sit.

"my mom, we got into an argument about nate", she sighs, laying her head on my shoulder.

"what did she say?", i decide to question her more.

"she basically said it wasn't real love and that i need to stay away from him."

"do you believe her?", i ask, making her look up at me.

"some parts of me does while the other parts thinks she's lying", she shrugs.

"i can't tell you what to do or how to live your life but please be careful", i kiss the top of her head.

"i don't know why i can't just choose you, you're the better option", warm drops of water fall onto my shirt as i pull the brunette closer to me.

"don't choose me because i'm the better option. choose me because you wanna be with me", i tell her, lightly playing with her hair.

"i do but i still wanna be with nate", she sniffles once again.

"you still love him and that's okay."

"it's not y/n, i don't wanna have to keep going through this", she whimpers.

"did you try to get in contact with him then?", i ask her.

"yeah, i texted him about a couple hundred times."

"just wait, he'll come around", just as i said that, her phone vibrates.

she looks at it with her eyebrows furrowed before they raise up in shock, "he texted me."

"what did he say?", i question.

"he told me to meet him at a motel", she raises her head up to look at me, "should i go?"

"do whatever feels right maddy", and with that, she thanked me before gathering her stuff and heading out the door, leaving me to my own thoughts.

---