| 29.2

[DAMIEN]

Arvon's hand reached for mine to climb the top of the Gate. He'd done it effortlessly, pushing off the ground with one massive leap. It wasn't that easy for me. I strained, tears burned in my eyes, but Arvon hooked his feet on the Gate's ledge and leaned down for me.

His hand hooked around mine as he pulled me up. "I've got you, son," he said.

Son. The way he said it reminded me of how I used to feel about him; a real father who cared, and only wanted the best for me. Huffing, I struggled to catch my breath and looked into his eyes. They shifted to blue for a second, as if he was showing me his old self. The version of him I knew best.

"Thanks... father," I said, straining on the last word. He knew it, too. His eyes flickered as if he was unsure of why I hesitated. I thought it was obvious. Pressing my hand against my side, it had to be.

Arvon glanced down at my hand before frowning. "I wish I could explain why that happened, why I reacted that way, but—"

"Humans," I said and stepped around him. "A human reaction."

I heard him follow after me. "I raised you your entire life without this type of reaction."

This side of the Gate's wall wasn't as wide as the entrance. When I took a step and a piece of rock crumbled away under my feet, I slowed down. But when I heard the shouts back from the entrance, my head snapped forward. Focused. I listened to the chaos.

Arvon came close behind me. "Eon is there. He is—"

"Contagious," I hissed, narrowing my gaze. I glanced back at Arvon. "If his behavior had you acting out, the other Attributions have got to be feeling the same."

The shouts grew louder. Attributions' growling followed. I turned my head to try and listen, but I knew that wouldn't help. I needed to run. I needed to help them. "Elena..."

"We can make it." Arvon side-stepped around me and placed himself in the lead. When he looked at me, his eyes returned to a red shade. With his brows pushed together, he could've scared someone. Just not me. That anger wasn't for me.

"We run?" I asked, rolling my shoulder back.

Arvon nodded, looking ahead. "Do not fall off, son."

*

As we got closer, I saw them. All of them. Down below, at the bottom of the Gate, I saw the humans. And the Attributions. The sounds of swords swinging, arrows firing, were carried in the wind. It wasn't until I saw Eon lifting Theo off the ground that I froze. I wanted to react.

But Arvon quickly grabbed my arm. "We cannot jump down. If every Attribution is feeding off of Eon's rage, then we—"

"We cannot stand here," I hissed, pulling my arm out of his grip. "We need to help them!"

"Damien—"

I didn't have time for his excuses. I understood he was an Attribution, and they reacted on plans, but it was clear Eon hadn't thought his through; the other Attributions were feeding off of him.

Looking back down at the chaos, I watched as Theo's body was thrown towards the Gate. His face twisted in pain until he did nothing. I ground my teeth as Eon moved towards Elena next. The way her eyes widened, I could see from up here that she was terrified. I wish she would look up and see me; I needed her to be calm.

I shouldn't have left her alone.

"Damien!"

Arvon shouted my name as I jumped off the Gate without a plan. I reached for the sword strapped to my hip, but I couldn't pull it out in time. And if time moved in slow motion, it didn't matter.