| 19.1

[ELENA]

With my satchel hanging off my shoulder, I ran. I bumped into castle staff, apologized profusely; I needed to be outside and I hoped they'd understand. I was late for the most important day of my coronation. Late, and had no one to blame but myself.

I did. I cursed myself, grumbled, and mumbled as I pushed through the open castle entrance. Right into my father's chest.

"Elena!" My father's arms stretched out as he gently held my shoulders. There was a smile on his face; anxious, a bit frustrated, but brimming with pride.

I gulped because I was sure the emotions had to do everything with me.

"Papa, I'm sorry." I pressed my hands flat against my chest. "I didn't mean to oversleep, I was simply—"

"Rest is important, my love." My father straightened, tense. While I could tell my father tried to look at me, his attention was elsewhere. Everywhere. And behind him.

Kieron stood at his side with his hands folded in front of him. Unlike my father, the old official made no changed expression. He looked at me without speaking. Without blinking, even.

I frowned. Believing the old man's attitude was based on my poor morning, I bit my lip and looked at my father. "Papa, I hope I haven't missed much. I know the mock tour is of great importance, but I slept horribly and I—"

"This behavior isn't expected of you, Princess." Kieron stepped towards me but didn't unfold his hands. He kept them firm, gaze hardening as he focused on my weary face. "But considering your position—"

"Kieron," my father hissed.

"I expected no less."

My brows shot up high. Was this behavior truly expected of me? To be late and irresponsible? Going to bed drunk the night before couldn't have made this impression of me any better. I worsened it. Had to.

"Papa..." I looked back at my father, but he focused on Kieron, instead. I thought he would defend me; he always kept his little girl in high regard. But my father spoke no words in my defense. He kept his gaze on the old man. His jaw clenched.

Seeing his expression, I thought back to my dream. The look of frustration on my father's face was so similar, without the tears and emotion. But the scowl, the stare was just the same. Only here, now, Kieron wasn't afraid and pleading. He, too, looked frustrated. Sad, even.

My frown deepened.

"Papa," I reached for my father's arm, "I'm sorry I'm so late, but I—"

"No time for apologies, Elena." Finally, my father looked at me. The smile on his face seemed forced. "I understand, but you must hurry." He pointed behind him. "Everyone is waiting for you."

I blinked at my father, confused as to why he ushered me away. "Aren't you coming with me?"

Kieron lowered his head. The sound of his sigh echoed as the wind blew.

Chewing on the insides of my cheek, I looked from the old man to my father. Visions from my dream returned. The yelling, the crying, and the frustration.

"Papa, is something wrong?"

My father looked at the forest as if he could see beyond the trees.

"Papa." I moved closer. "Papa, I—"

"I can't travel with you." His next smile was softer, caring. Lifting a hand, he touched my face, thumb stroking my cheek. "I know you'll do wonderful, my love. You have the people with you to do this."