|01| Aye, Aye Captain

Chapter 1 xx

~~~~~~~~~~

Victoria shifted uncomfortably as she sat in the Captain's chair of the Enterprise, the crew around her shouting reports of Kirk and Spock's progress on the planet they were currently monitoring, the Class M planet Nibiru. She wasn't really fond of Class M planets after the last experience on one. No matter how amazing it had been to begin a new relationship with Kirk on the Class M planet of Delta Vega...being chased by the native creatures in the middle of a blizzard with an injured hand had NOT helped the experience. Thinking on that, she looked at her hand, flexing it, she really did need to stop punching people for Kirk. She'd only punched two though so she'd kept close to her original promise to never do it again. She'd punched 'Cupcake' once, the first time she'd actually met Kirk and sprained her hand, sworn to herself she wouldn't do it again...then she'd punched Spock when Kirk had been sent off the Enterprise for defying him and, as it turned out, she had actually broken her hand that time...which meant that she'd had to go to see a 'doctor' for it every so often. She hated that, the medbay, but luckily Bones had taken it upon himself to see to her the second she got there, to get her out of there as soon as possible, but she still hated it. And with her hand broken, she hadn't been able to help out in engineering often.

It was a requirement for all liaisons to the Bridge to take time, about 10-20 hours a month, and spend it with the teams they were liaisoning for. Being injured, she could shadow Scotty and talk to him in engineering but she couldn't get hands on and actually work on the different components of the ship. There were only two things about having broken her hand that she could be grateful for, the first was Kirk. Every day when he saw her, he'd gently take her hand in his, even though he had no idea what he was looking for or even how to determine if it was getting better, and he'd just hold it lightly, and then press a kiss to a finger or two that stuck out of the cast. He'd been the first one to sign it too, he'd actually shoved poor Chekov aside in order to do it, then apologized and let the boy sign second. It was a very sweet gesture, the kissing not the shoving, and Kirk did it every single day. She'd jokingly asked him if it was because of the whole 'kissing makes it feel better' thing and he'd surprised her by saying that no, it wasn't that, it was just...he loved kissing her and...he was actually rather fond of her hands.

That surprised her, she hadn't known that he had an interest in her hands. They'd gotten into a bit of a lewd bicker about why he liked her hands in particular, with her throwing out any number of things ranging from punching people with them to doing other things with him with them to the fact that they were just small...he'd cut her off after quite a few of them and said it was because she was in engineering. She used her hands to fix things, to make things better, and he'd gotten surprisingly metaphorical and philosophical about it all, claiming that she made him better, she fixed him when he hadn't known he was broken, and that he always felt more powerful when he could hold her hand. He loved her hands because she created with them, she improved things and fit broken pieces together with them, and he was sort of the opposite, before the Academy though, he'd always get into fights and break things and steal things. He liked her hands because even with their own being so different from the other's...they still fit perfectly together.

He liked doing that, going on about the different ways they fit together.

The second thing she could be grateful for was actually that. Because she'd found that...SHE fit with the Enterprise, with the crew, with Kirk. She'd spent so long debating what she really wanted to do with her life, if she really wanted to be a part of a starship or the Fleet or if she'd try to branch out, escape the family business as her father joked, and do something else. She'd been debating it right to graduation actually, but...experiencing the adventure, the thrill, the exhilaration of being on a starship when her father had been taken by Nero, going on a rescue mission and seeing just how much of a difference they COULD make...she felt like she finally knew where she wanted to be. And that WAS in the Fleet. Kirk had been thrilled when she'd told him that after they'd graduated. They'd just been walking around and he'd remarked that, now that he was Captain of the Enterprise, something that had been given to him just after graduation, that he needed to think about the crew and who would be on it.