Prologue

Eren POV

I finally did it I finally achieved freedom... Thought at what cost I may have saved the people of Paradis but I killed my friends in the process. Was this it? Could there have been a better way? I ask myself this as I stand in the Paths. I stare into the coordinate contemplating if I made the right choice. Thinking of the unbearable sin of genocide that I have committed. All this was because of some petty discrimination and a grudge they couldn't let go of. Am I regretting this? NO! They brought this upon themselves. But what now? Where do I go from here?

???: Eren Yeager

I look behind me and see the one that started it all.

Founder Ymir

Eren: Ymir it has been done. The oppressors are no more. Our people are safe.

She looks up at me and I see life return to her once lifeless eyes. I see her face again a small smile with a little tear running down her face.

Ymir: The people of Eldia thank you for your efforts and sacrifices. With everything at a rest, I can finally see my daughters.

I smile a little which oddly hurts. Have I not smiled in that long?

Ymir: But what will be your path, Eren Yeager. Now that you have achieved freedom for Eldia. What now?

Hearing this I think to myself that question "What now?" I do not know the answer to this. I feel so empty so incomplete. Truthfully I did not expect anything to come after The Rumbling. I guess I will have to answer honestly.

Eren: I do not know Ymir. I know I can regenerate my body and come back. Though what will I come back to? Welcomed by people who hate me? By people who would never understand? Everyone I cared about is dead Jean, Connie, Hange, Armin, and... Mikasa. The most sensible option is for me to remain here.

Founder Ymir looks at me with a small smile as she extends her hand to me.

Ymir: Walk with me, Eren Yeager.

I take her hand as we walk towards the Coordinate.

Eren: What is the meaning of this Ymir?

Ymir: Although most do not see it you have done our world a great service. So I would like to give you something in return. Now that you have freedom there is one more thing you would need to feel complete.

Eren: That would be?

Ymir: Happiness.

As she says this I stop in my tracks. Do I deserve it? I get it was a 'necessary evil' but still all those lives I have taken.

Ymir: I see you have your doubts if whether or not you truly deserve happiness. Not only did you save our people you saved me. You did something that no one has ever done. You gave me the freedom to choose. So I will do the same for you.