Chapter 3

Carrie and Kristina looked quite attractive, even if it was just Thai food and a night at the movies. Carrie's tan legs were revealed tastefully in the plum outfit she was wearing. Her dark brown hair was clipped up, showing off her pretty face which was colored to complement the skirt and jacket she wore. Kristina wore a hunter green dress with a cropped jacket and flat ankle boots.

The movie was good and Kris was enjoying her time with her friend as they made sarcastic commentary every time the lead actress made a blunder to wind up back in the arms of the male lead, Gerard Butler. But towards the end of the movie, Kris started thinking that her companion would be leaving her soon for her date with the guy who'd called after Reese. It hadn't been a voice she recognized but she had certainly liked it. Carrie assured her it wasn't 'like that', but it didn't stop Kris from nudging her with a naughty wink.

As they stepped onto the road after the show, a car drove by, the driver honking its horn. Carrie waved back.

"Who was that?"

"Either Lou or Gav."

"They got a new car?"

"Lou did," Carrie replied as they got into their own ride.

"How do you know it's Lou's?"

"Seriously? How many Mustangs of that color do you know that also have 'bad ass' written on the windshield?" countered Carrie as her friend started the car.

Kris giggled in surrender and started driving.

She inched along on the side of the road, allowing all impatient drivers to overtake them. Every time oncoming traffic appeared Kris would slow to a near stop. She almost stalled the car twice and kept making little whimpering noises if any cars sped by them too fast or too close.

The whole time her heart was in her throat and she felt as though her chest would explode. She was barely breathing as she moved the car forward, but she was thankful that her panic wasn't overwhelming her completely. She knew she had the steering wheel in a death grip and that her muscles were on the verge of seizing up she was so tense, but she was taking her doctor's advice and going little by little.

Patiently, Carrie gave her directions to a building near the outskirts of campus. Kris recognized some of the landmarks but said nothing until the car was parked.

"Oh my goodness," she sighed when she killed the engine. Leaning her forehead against the steering wheel. "That was horrid."

"I am glad we arrived in one piece," Carrie muttered.

"Very funny!"

Carrie knew how scared Kris had been to start driving again after the accident. She noticed how her friend's hands were shaking and she reached out and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Well done sweetheart. That was a good first step to overcoming the fear."

"Thanks Carrie."

The two took the path to the door of their sorority house. It seemed deserted, but Carrie used her key to open the door. Kristina took a deep breath and let it out.

"It has been a long time." She looked around the outer lobby with its half circle shape that accommodated a receptionist's desk.

By most standards this sorority was anything but easy to get into. Doors opened by voice command and fingerprint identification. There were no door handles; to get past this section of the house you had to be escorted by a sister. The wall behind the desk was tinted mirror glass, similar to the type used in interview rooms at police stations. A set of French doors were the only visible way in.

Carnerie stepped to the side when they reached the door. "Would you like to do the honors?"

Carrie watched as her friend wiped her hands on her dress.