𝟏.𝟎𝟕

Chapter viThe beginning of tragedy

Chapter vi
The beginning of tragedy

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

WHEN DID TRAGEDY BEGIN? The question often swirled in the back of his mind. He often tried to grasp how everything got out of control so quickly—how they lost everything in the matters of seconds. Sometimes he still saw the blood streaming in the river, tainting the water with its dark, thick consistence. Other times it was the guilt in his gut that made him want to throw up.

And the rest of the time it was the hopelessness he felt, when he realised no one would believe him. How could they? They wouldn't believe her to have done something so awful. No one would believe it, no, but it didn't change the fact that it happened. And now only he had to live with the burden of the knowledge as well as the guilt for never being able to fight for the justice his fiancée rightfully deserved.

No, instead he had been rewarded with a child of the blue seas and the deep of the forests. As if his beloved hadn't died because of ploys and games of power seeking kin. His High Lady was dead and yet they gave him a life.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

They were sat in the high grass of a lush spring meadow near the fairytale manor, hiding in the comfort of the wilderness as they let the information sink in. It had been a pure coincidence, when Tamlin overheard the two elders speak about their plans, but oh thank the Cauldron he heard what they said.

It had been so unexpected and shocking, Tamlin had immediately grabbed Reverie and dragged her away from the house, making sure his older brothers wouldn't follow or their noisy wifes.

Now beside him, Reverie sat with her knees under her chin and her arms engulfing her legs to her chest. Silent tears dripped down her cheeks as she tried to digest the information of betrayal. What made it worse that it was her own blood that would be the victim. She had to warn them. To make them change their plans.