𝟏.𝟎𝟖

Chapter viiThe beginning of tragedy

Chapter vii
The beginning of tragedy

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE NIGHT WAS COLD, Reverie was shivering in her bed, bundled up under a pile of blankets, so that only her face was visible. Did she really wake up in the middle of the night again? It had become a cycle that seemed to repeat every night.

Perhaps it was the fear, which kept her awake, or maybe it was the nauseating images that haunted her whilst she slept. Sometimes it felt like her dreams were warning her, especially now that her magic suppressants had lessened their affect on her. Even during the daytime she felt like she was dreaming of various things. Some dreams seemed important, almost like warnings, others seemed insignificant, and the rest put her into a euphoric state next to the moon, the stars and the sun.

But the fact was her dreams often became reality after a while.

It was scary. For Reverie had been having the same nightmare for weeks now. And oddly enough it matched of what Tamlin had warned her. Don't go to meet Rhysand, he said. He had sounded so scared and desperate as he asked her to swear she wouldn't go. Tamlin never went into detail, but she knew why he said it—knew that it must've been the rivalry between their fathers that finally took a step too far. After all, both their fathers had used them to spy on one another. Unsuccessfully.

What they hadn't taken into account was the possibility of them befriending or even falling in love with another. They were young and still experiencing, trying out new things as they grew. Reverie only eighteen.

They should have thought of what could happen. They should have thought it through.

After their intimate moment in the meadow, both lost focus, completely enamoured with the other. They often met up in the darker hours in secluded places. At times they sneaked away during the day. Sometimes the lovers just sat, holding onto another as they spoke, and other times they couldn't help but submit to their greed for more of the symphony they created together when their passion for each other burned.