𝟏.𝟎𝟐

Chapter ii

Chapter ii.
The beginning of tragedy

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE FIRST SNOW was falling in the Night Court, coating it in a blanket of white. The snowflakes lowered themselves in a fast pace, as if they were scared that they wouldn't make it—that they wouldn't reach the ground.

Reverie had the same fear. Not with flying or heights. She was scared of not being fast enough to get away from her father and his plans. There were times she felt like she could see the ideas in his mind. The possible suitors for a marriage. A marriage Erie would be forced into just so that he could gain an ally or strengthen an alliance. She was just a pawn in his game of power and greed.

Reverie hated it.

Not even her mother could help her. She had already bought her time, but the day would come nonetheless. At least she got to keep her wings, though she had to keep them hidden. It was already bad enough for her father that they existed.

Sighing, Erie moved to her vanity. Looking into the mirror, she found her tear-stained face gazing right back at her. Her hair was styled into an elegant up-do that had her hair lay prettily on her shoulder. Her violet-brown eyes were coated with coal on the waterline, making them pop out. Cherry lip balm covered her lips. And her cheeks were painted with blush.

All the cosmetics just to impress her father's Court.

She clenched her fists in anger, teeth grounded together. Erie just wanted to live her teenage life through, until she entered the world of adults. She hadn't even started bleeding yet, and the High Lord was already set on marrying her off.

A knock interrupted her inner monologue. The knock was soft, not like the bangs of the guards, who only saw her as some spoiled, stupid princess. Reverie was not spoiled and definitely not stupid, but that were the guards of her father. Snobby faeries full of envy, better suited for the Hewn City.