Chapter 1 - The Masquerade

Start from the beginning

"What the—?" Katherine asked, looking at Caroline angrily.

Hope had just watched this play out, trying to piece everything together from her own knowledge of everything. She had decided it was a good time to leave before either of them started to leave. Hope had decided to go see if anything else was happening with any of the other people that get involved in Elena's supernatural troubles. She was curious though as to how Katherine died, because she seemed to be smart and quite manipulative. While Hope was walking she luckily avoided bumping into anyone, so her presence still was unknown to everyone there. She eventually found Matt and if she remembered correctly a person named Tyler. There was also a girl with them drinking alcohol.

Hope started thinking of what she heard about Tyler from others, 'If I remember correctly he gets turned into a hybrid after my dad shows up, this would mean he is a werewolf.' Hope didn't know much about Tyler. Her family had always been busy with other things, so they never mentioned him. 'Didn't he throw a football at Stefan when he was a new student?' Hope wondered to herself, trying to remember information from Stefan's journals. Hope went back to gathering information about what happened at the Masquerade.

"So what happened to Aimee?" The girl asked Tyler and Matt.

"I don't know. She disappeared." Matt replied before taking a drink from the bottle.

"She's probably drunk somewhere." Tyler said, looking at the girl.

"Like me." Matt said, as he poured the bottle of alcohol he had over Tyler's dad's desk.

"Whoa, don't do that." Tyler said. He noticed what Matt was doing and looked upset.

"What, man? It's a party." Matt said with a grin. "Right, dad?" He said, grabbing a photo of Tyler's parents. "You know, it looks like your dad... wants a drink." Matt said. Matt was pouring the bottle of alcohol he had on the Photo of Tyler's dad.

"Hey. That's not cool." Tyler said. He had stood up and walked over to Matt.

Hope was just watching this happens. She began to wonder, 'Was this what Matt was like when he was in high school?' She was curious if someone else planned this. She saw Katherine talking to Matt earlier, but she didn't know it was Katherine at that point and didn't care enough to listen to their conversation.

"What's wrong with you?" Tyler asked sounding upset.

"The guy was a dick." Matt said with a smile.

"Come on, you're being mean. His dad's dead." The girl said, looking over at Matt.

When the girl said that, Hope looked over at Tyler. She knew what it was like to lose a parent. Hope was even more suspicious of Matt after he said that. She didn't interact with Matt that often, but she had somewhat of an understanding for his character. Hearing what Matt said made her think Katherine told him to do something. Hope began piecing the events that have happened so far together. Katherine is looking for the moonstone, Kathrine was talking to Matt, Caroline lead Katherine to an ambush by the Salvatore brothers. Hope understood what was happening, especially with her knowing her family will be arriving soon. She had spent the past couple of days mentally preparing to see her family, even if she wasn't talking she knew it would be hard to see them. 'Katherine wants Tyler to trigger his curse, Katherine wants the moonstone, Katherine was manipulating everyone.' Hope started thinking. 'Katherine wants to make a deal for her freedom.' Hope came to that conclusion. Hope knew what Katherine was planning at this point. Katherine was gonna have Tyler trigger his curse.

"Gimme the picture." Tyler said, trying to grab the picture from Matt.

"Whoa!" Matt exclaims, making sure Tyler misses the photo. "Remember how your dad used to slap you around?" Matt asks.