Chapter 16

The first couple of minutes barely anybody talked. It was so awkward, I didn't know if they wanted me to say something or not. There was very little conversation; someone only talked if they wanted something that was out of their reach.

"Hey can you get me a couple of toast?" I whispered to Enzo seeing as how the toast was closer to him rather than me and I didn't want to reach over.

"Sure, how much do you want?" He whispered back.

"Three is fine." As he was handing me my toast, I was asked about the one thing I didn't want to talk about.

"So, Valentina, how was life with your mother?" Guess who asked that...my grandfather. I wanted to avoid talking about my mother as much as possible. I have a feeling that they hate my mother as much as my brothers do.

"It was fine. Mom was the most selfless person. Any time I wanted something she would get it for me." I replied honestly.

"She most definitely is not selfless." I heard someone say so when I looked at the person I was met with Amara's eyes I glared at her.

"Excuse you?" She had no right saying that about my mother. She did not grow up with her, I did.

"She took you away from your family and kept you from us. I would spend a lot of time here growing up because I was the same age as Luciano so I played with him a lot. All those times I was here I saw how your family loved you and when she took you away she broke them like you'll never imagine." She said with so much hatred evident in her voice.

"You don't know my mom.You don't know what she went through when she left and most of all YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW SHE DIED!!" I was tearing up but I won't let myself cry. "She was my mother and I grew up with her. I know that when she took me away it must've been hell for you guys over here but she had her own hell that she couldn't get away from! So please don't bring up my mom ever again if you are just going to talk shit about her and what she did." I'm pretty sure my eyes are red ready for my tears to spill. I got up ready to leave to head back to my room to calm down when a voice stopped me.

"Sit back down." I sat down. "Now answer two questions for me. How did she die and what was the hell she couldn't get away from?" Those questions made my blood go cold.

FUCK. I didn't mean to say that. Fuck. Of course my grandfather caught onto the details. I said those at the spur of the moment.

"Nothing." I said while looking at him. He looked like he was about to give me shit for lying but I could care less. I got up before he could say something and was about to head to my room when Leonardo caught me from his chair.

"Let go of me!!" I said as I was panicking. This reminded me of Michael when I was younger. I will have a panic attack if he doesn't let go. He got up with his arms around my upper body securing my arms in his hold but that didn't stop my legs from kicking him with all my might.

After making sure that I can't move my arms he sat back down in his chair and wrapped his much longer legs around mine so that I couldn't really move anymore. After waiting for me to calm down he leaned into my ear and said, "Answer his questions."

I didn't say anything. I stayed quiet and just looked down, not looking into any of their eyes. "I'm going to ask you one more time and if you don't say anything I'll do something you won't like. So with that in mind...Answer. His. Questions."

Without looking up I started speaking, "She committed suicide and Michael." Everyone was quiet. They all seem shocked by the information I just gave them. That was until my grandfather started speaking again.

"Who's Michael?" I really don't want to answer these questions.

"Someone." I kept my answer as brief as possible. Leonardo gave me a pinch on my arm as a warning to answer properly. "Mom's forced boyfriend." If I said he was just her boyfriend they would all get the wrong idea so I decided to add "forced" hoping that they would connect the dots themselves. They didn't.