Until I Found You

Start from the beginning

I huffed defensively, "First of all, wow. I can't believe you went there. And second of all, I wasn't teasing you yesterday. I was just telling you how I think it's cute that you have a special bowl just for eating cereal."

"Still teasing."

"Whatever." I said. "Are you hungry? I could make us something to eat."

"A little, yeah."

Without a thought, I gave her forehead a quick peck, "Coming right up."

As much as it pains me to get up from her comfortable bed, I knew I had to. I ruffled my hair a bit to get it somewhat decent looking. And when I turned around to look at her, that's when I knew. I stood there for a second with my heart on my sleeve and a smile on my face, this is what I want to see every morning for the rest of my life.

"What?" She asked.

"Nothing. I'm gonna go and make us something to eat."

I left the room feeling giddy, and blushing like crazy. I can't remember the last time I've felt like this. It's like I'm back in my teenage years where a crush of mine looked my way and I didn't know how to act. But, the difference is that Y/N makes me feel so much more than just butterflies all over my body. A sense of relief, and how grounded and safe she makes me feel.

I started on breakfast by making some eggs and bacon. I turned on the other pan for pancakes, scrambling a little because there's so much to do and I'm trying to do them as fast as I could. I'm still whisking the eggs, plopped a few bacon on the pan, making sure they're not overcooked on one side. I definitely bit more than I can chew.

"Need any help?"

"Uh, a little, yes." I chuckled nervously.

"What do you need me to do?"

"I already made the batter for the pancakes, so just put half a cup on the stove."

Y/N followed my instructions and began making the pancakes. At one point, she said the kitchen was too quiet despite our constant friendly banter about not messing up the food and played lively music for us to jam to. Hungry Heart by Bruce Springsteen filled the entirety of the room, and it was almost like deja vu, something felt familiar.

Out of nowhere, Y/N dabbed pancake batter on my nose, making me stop what I was doing. I gave her a playful glare, and retaliated almost immediately. We chased each other in the kitchen like kids, our laughter almost louder than the music. We knocked over some stuff, making a mess on the floor, but we didn't care enough to pay it any mind because we kept going. By the end of it, our faces are almost covered in flour and pancake batter.

After we cooked and finished setting up the table, we took turns in the bathroom and cleaned our faces off of the things we were messing around with earlier. After some time, we comfortably sat from each other, ready to eat the food we made. Together.

It was anything but silence. Eating breakfast together. Pure, genuine laughter was shared, and the casual conversation between us felt natural. For once in my life, at least from what I can remember, I didn't feel the need to try or force myself to start a conversation. With her, it was second nature. And the indescribable happiness in my chest still continued to stir.